[PacMasterUpdate] November 5, 2001 Update

pacmasterupdate-admin at PacificMasters.org Tue Nov 6 00:16:37 EST 2001

UPCOMING EVENTS
SAFETY TRAINING FOR SWIM COACHES
Mills College will have Safety Training for Swim Coaches on Sunday,
November 11, 2001 8am to 1pm. To attend you must pre-register by
November 5th so all the books and supplies will be available. Call
510/430-3351 to register.

LAST MEET OF THE 2001 - RENO WINNERS MEET
The Reno Winners meet is the last meet of 2001. The short course meet
will be at the Northwest Pool in Reno on December 1st. For more
information contact Steve Lintz (775) 334-2262 (D), (775) 849-2179 (E)
===
Pacific Masters AFFILIATE - LANDS END
Lands End is a maker of fine sports apparel for the active person.
Click on the link to Lands' End from the Pacific Masters web site
Lands' End will rebate some of the money of your purchase to Pacific
Masters.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org

NEW YEAR - TIME TO RE-REGISTER
It is November, time to re-register for the 2002 Pacific Masters. The
form to re-register is on the web at:
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/admin/02Indivappl.pdf
(if you use the web form, you can type in the information and print
it out from your computer).

If you are changing clubs, with the annual re-registration you can
change clubs and compete for your new club without waiting 60 days or
paying the $2.00 to change clubs.

NOVEMBER-DECEMBER NEWSLETTER
The November-December Newsletter is posted on the web site
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/newsltr/01/01novdec.pdf
The newsletter has the 2001 schedule in it, a column from the coaches
chair as well as how to check out videos from the video library.

MILESTONES - BY THE NUMBERS
USMS recently passed the 40,000 member mark. Pacific Masters has the
most number of swimmers in USMS. Pacific just passed the 9600 mark -
this is eight straight years of setting a new record for Pacific
Masters membership.

The web site recently passed the 200,000 mark on its counter. The web
site turns six years old this month and was the result of an idea
generated at a Pacific Masters conference. The Update, Pacific
Masters electronic newsletter, has over 8300 on the list.

DOING SOMETHING FOR GEORGE HAINES
Since Christmas is coming soon, Chris von Saltza Olmstead wants to
put together an album of photos/notes or whatever to present to him.
 She is looking for George Haines swimmers to send old swim photos,
new photos of you and your families and any note you might want to
include.  Also, would you try to find one or more swimmers of your
generation and ask them to do the same.  You can contact Chris von
Saltza Olmstead at CvonSO at aol.com or contact Carol MacPherson at
c-mac at mindspring.com

Have a good week and a good Thanksgiving

Michael

OFF THE WALL
I was at an age group meet this weekend. Alma Guimarin of Santa Clara
came over to me and starting telling me about this book she had
ordered it from Amazon and received the day before. She read it in
one evening. The book was "Gold in the Water" by PH Mullen, a Santa
Clara Masters swimmers.

This is going to be a public Book Launch Blast-off at an awesome art
gallery and & wine tasting studio. Saturday, November 10, 2000, 6
P.M. to 9 P.M.:
D.P. FONG Art Gallery
371 South First Street
San Jose, CA  95113
408-298-8877
For more information contact PH Mullin at phmullen at goldinthewater.com

Alma lent me the book. I finished the first chapter last night.
Mullen tells an interesting story which is made more interesting by
knowing many of the characters.