[PacMasterUpdate] January 27, 2002 Update

pacmasterupdate-admin at PacificMasters.org Sun Jan 27 20:35:27 EST 2002

For those who wish to unsubscribe or want to write to Pacific Masters
or to the editor, please see the end of the Update.

LOUIE BONPUA  1964-2002
Louie Bonpua, triathlete and Masters Swimmer, carried the Olympic
torch  a week ago Saturday passed away last Tuesday  after battling
Leukemia for four years. His story and struggle was covered in both
the Chronicle and Mercury

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2002/01/25/state1608EST0086.DTL

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/01/24/MN9745.DTL

http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/front/docs/bonpua25.htm

UPCOMING EVENTS
PAC MASTERS INDOOR RELAYS
Get your team together to for relays at the 17th Annual Pacific
Masters Indoor Relays at Oceana High School Pool in Pacifica, Sunday,
February 3rd. Awards will be given to the top three teams. The relay
meet will start at 9am and the Marlins are promising that it will
finish between 1 and 2 pm, in plenty of time for swimmers to get back
home for the 3:17 SuperBowl kickoff.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/02RelayvsSuperBowl.pdf
TAMALPIAS POSTAL MILE
The first event of the 2002 is the Tamalpias Postal Mile. Swimmers
can swim the mile any time between January 1, 2002 and February 28,
2002 and you can swim it in your own pool.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/02tamscy.pdf
ONE HOUR POSTAL
This is the last week to swim the hour. The annual USMS One Hour
Postal Swim is from January 1 through January 31, 2002. The rules are
fairly simple, it is to see how many yards you can swim in one hour.
It is a very good chance to see how well you are swimming at the
beginning of the year.
	http://www.usms.org/longdist/ldnats02/1hrentry.pdf

USMS NATIONAL SCY CHAMPIONSHIPS
The USMS 2002 SCY National Championships will be held in Honolulu, Hi
May 14-17. This is the second year in a row that the SCY
championships will be held in our zone.

http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats02/

The National Qualifying times have also been posted both in Swim
Magazine on on the USMS web site
	http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats02/nqt.php
I always check at the women's NQTs and if I consistently beat them,
then I have made some of my goals.
===
Pacific Masters AFFILIATE - LANDS END
Lands End is a maker of fine sports apparel for the active person.
Click on the link to Lands' End from the Pacific Masters web site
Lands' End will rebate some of the money of your purchase to Pacific
Masters.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org

COACH NEEDED
The Manatee Aquatic Masters of Oakland are looking for a part time coach.
The current listing is for a permanent weekend position, weekday hours are
available on a fill in basis.  For more info email or call Head Coach Brian
Stack at stackb at aol.com or 510-235-6842

BECOME AN OFFICIAL Chico will still host a clinic on Tuesday, January
29th, but the location has changed.  It will be at the Miller Buick
Oldsmobile instead of the Sierra Nevada Brewery.  The starting time
for the clinic is 7:00 PM

DIRECTIONS to Miller Buick Oldsmobile are as follows: Take Hwy 99 North to
Chico. Take the East Ave exit, turn left under the over pass and go
to the Esplanade. Turn left again. Miller Buick is about 1 mile down
on the right next to Lazy Boy Furniture. 2303 Esplanade.

Please contact Bob Van Der Linde at <RVanderlin at aol.com> if you have
any questions.

Tuesday, January 29th at 7 p.m. at the Sierra Nevada Brewery at 1075 East 20th.
 From Sacramento take 99 north to Chico, take 20th St. exit, left over
freeway.  Go through 2 lights (stopping for any red lights of
course).  Brewery is on left.  Contact -
<mailto:RVanderlin at aol.com>RVanderlin at aol.com.

Saturday, Feb. 9th at Shasta College in Redding at 9 a.m. in the Gym.
Take I-5 to 299 East, exit on Old Oregon Trail.  Take 2nd Shasta
College entrance and park.  Gym is next to pool.  Enter front doors
of gym and room is on right.  Contact -
<mailto:race at c-zone.net>race at c-zone.net
---
ROCKLIN MASTERS TRIP TO HAWAII
Rocklin Masters swimmers put together a travel package for the 2002
SCY Nationals in Hawaii. They want to make the offer available to
other Pacific Masters swimmers.  We have air fare and accommodations
in Waikiki departing San Francisco on May 12 and returning May 19..
the prices vary depending on the number of people staying in a room
(these are rooms with kitchenette), but we've checked out the prices
and find that our price is very competitive. The rooms
are at the Aston Sunset which is at the Diamond Head end of Waikiki,
not far from the University of Hawaii. Contact ptmag at surfbest.net

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
re Pacific Masters decision to suspend registration fees this year
for 90+ swimmers:
--
At last, something to look forward to...
TT

RIDICULOUS!!!

This is as bad as saying that our technical rules do not apply to that age
group, just because they are older. Where do you draw the line?

LJ
--
I feel the age for free membership should be dropped to 75...  90 years is a
little old don't ya think.... give me a break...  like you really did

regards
JH

Editors note The committee drew the line at 90 years old. We voted
that Pacific Masters would pick up the membership fees for the 90
year olds. It will cost Pacific Masters $150 (the amount that Pacific
pays national) if all the 10 swimmers who are 90+ re register.

(We are also trying to recruit members for the 360+ and 95+ relay teams  :-)  )

===
2002 SERVICE AWARDS
Pacific Masters tries to honor a few of its volunteers with the
annual service awards:
	Contributor of the Year
	Distinguished Service
	Personal Achievement  and
	Appreciation Award
Doug Huestis wrote about the awards in the newsletter
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/newsltr/02/02janfeb.pdf
To see the list of who has been presented the awards in the past go to:
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/general/awards.html
If you wish to nominate a person for a service award, write a letter
of nomination and send it to Doug Huestis, 9 Escondido Av, San
Francisco  CA  94132
===
FROM THE DESK OF COACH MIDNIGHT

Swim like a corkscrew??

Well, not really -- but consider how a corkscrew 'works' and its
action as it moves through space. First of all there is no lateral
displacement/movement as it rotates along the long axis. As it is
'working'  -- the leading edge 'rolls-in' as it pushes through. And
all the while effective force is being generated and real work is
being done.

So, how does this apply to freestyle swimming?

Well -- think of your right hip as 'rolling-in' as you are extending
into the catch at the front end of your stroke. Just like the action
of a corkscrew. No side-side movement; just rolling-in.  Then as you
snap to the locked high-elbow position -- you only need to think of
'rolling-out' (and again along the long axis of your body) to pull
your arm through the stroke to the release.

The other arm and side of your body will just mirror these actions
--sometimes its just best to focus on one side and just let the other
side go on 'auto-pilot'.  After this all becomes automatic --you can
focus on and analyze the actions on the left side.

So the next time you open a bottle of wine be reminded of all this:
"Hmmm.... full bodied and pleasing on the palate........ reminds me
of a 200 Free I had in 1998."

Coach Midnight
===

Have a good week.

michael

INSIDE BASEBALL OR WHY YOU GOT SO MANY EMAILS OVER THE PAST WEEK

We try to send out one email a week, well when there is something to
say. Last week I was asked to let the membership know about Heidi
Renner being profiled on the Lifetime channel (she is a nice lady,
she has a lot of friends in Masters swimming and it had to be a
special email if she was being profiled before the next scheduled
Update (as if the Update is scheduled). So you all got an extra email.

In trying to keep the list somewhat manageable, I took the list of
people who had registered in the past week, made up a quick address
list to send them a copy of the latest Update. Unfortunately, I sent
the Update out again to all the membership.ooops. Sorry, It was a
waste of thousands of elections.

I think I have made enough mistakes for the week, now back to the
regular schedule.-

TO UNSUBCRIBE OR TO CONTACT PACIFIC MASTERS OFFICERS

To unsubscribe either email
<mailto:pacmasterupdate-request at PacificMasters.org?subject=unsubscribe>
You may be able to just click on the blue type above which will
generate an email. That should get you unsubscribed.

You can go to the web site
http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/pacmasterupdate
then follow the directions

If your wish to find out about registration or membership, please
contact Nancy Ridout at
	Mailto:registrar at pacificmasters.org

If you want to write to the editor of the Update
	mailto:michael at pacificmasters.org

For those who want to contact Michael directly email
mailto:michael at pacificmasters.org . If you hit the return button on
your email client, it will only delay a response. thank you mwm

--
michael w. moore
michael at mwmoore.org