[PacMasterUpdate] Update June 10, 2002

pacmasterupdate-admin at PacificMasters.org Mon Jun 10 01:33:51 EDT 2002

WALNUT CREEK MASTERS LCM INVITATIONAL
The results of the Walnut Creek Masters Long Course Invitational have
been posted to the web site. It was a beautiful day, blue skies and
nice temperatures. Laura Val lowered her 200 Individual Medley World
record.

Thanks to John King, Kerry O'Brien and all the Walnut Creek Masters
for putting on the meet.

The 200 free was the most popular event. There were three heats of
woman's 200 free and NINE heats of mens 200 free.

For teams that have a team management program, the results of the
Walnut Creek meet and the Pacific Masters SCY Championships have been
posted in the SDIF format.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/results.shtml

UPCOMING EVENTS:
SHADOWCLIFFS OPEN WATER
Registration for the TriValley Masters Shadowcliffs Open Water Swim,
June 29, 2002, can be done on the internet. Go to
	http://www.trivalleymasters.com/news
and click on the internet icon.

BURLINGAME SPLASH AND DASH
The Burlingame Splash and Dash is a sprint LCM meet on June 30th.
The 200 meter relays and the all  the 50 events are the only events
on the schedule. The deadline is June 19th, with race day entry
available.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/02bmwlcm.pdf

LONG COURSE CHAMPIONSHIPS
A couple of extra things about the Long Course Championships in Santa Cruz
Facility: "Dogs or other pets are not allowed on the campus."

Entries:  "All relays will be deck seeded."
Events 17 and 18 are the 200 meter freestyle events, not the 800. The
800 meter freestyle are events 43 and 44.

Entry Fees: Add after the address "PLEASE DO NOT SEND ENTRIES THAT
REQUIRE A SIGNATURE.  THEY WILL BE RETURNED TO SENDER.  If you want
an entry confirmation, include a SASE or post card.  Sorry, entries
cannot be confirmed by phone.

For those who are not tired of traveling to swim meets, THE
INTERNATIONAL BERIMBAU SWIMMING MASTERS 2002 1st CUP will be held
June 26th through 29th in Mexico City, MX. Regina Brittingham will be
giving a swim clinic there also. If you are interested in swimming
and participating contact Regina  mailto:swimmers at inreach.com
Information on the meet is at http://swimmex.homestead.com/b.html

SAFETY TRAINING FOR SWIM COACHES
Carol Berendsen will be teaching an Safety Training for Swim Coaches
Class at Mills College  the evening of Tuesday June 18 (You are asked
to register  by June 10th. Contact Carol Berendsen for further
information 510-430-3351 or mailto:carolb at mills.edu

Pacific Masters AFFILIATE - LANDS END
Lands End is a maker of fine sports apparel for the active person.
Click on the link to Lands' End from the Pacific Masters web site
Lands' End will rebate some of the money of your purchase to Pacific
Masters.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org

San Francisco 2012 - The Bridge to the Future
The race is on!  The San Francisco Bay Area is competing with
Houston, New York and Washington, D.C. to be the U.S. Candidate City
for the 2012 Olympic Games.  The Bay Area Sports Organizing Committee
(BASOC; <http://www.basoc2012.org>http://www.basoc2012.org) is
committed to bringing the Olympic Games to our backyard, under the
leadership of President and CEO Anne Cribbs (a 1960 Olympian in
swimming).

There are plenty of ways we can help, as Bay Area athletes.  On the
BASOC website for volunteers
(<http://www.basoc2012.org/contact_support.php>http://www.basoc2012.org/contact_support.php)
there are suggestions for ways to get involved, as well as a sign-up
form.

And, of course, you are always welcome to make a contribution!  For
$20, you can become a "Bridge Builder" and receive a lapel pin to
help promote the San Francisco Bay Area's bid for the 2012 Olympic
Games.  For more information on making contributions, visit
<http://www.basoc2012.org/contact_contrib.php>http://www.basoc2012.org/contact_contrib.php.
====
FROM THE NOTES OF COACH MIDNIGHT

More power to you (2) !!!

In my last letter I listed the 'Prime Movers'  for swimming. In this
issue I will list specific exercises that most effectively develop
those muscles.   After each exercise, in parenthesis, will be the
percentage of maximum "EMG" readings. Most any competent weight room
trainer should be able to show you how to do them.

UPPER BODY:

Pectoralis major
		1) Decline dumbbell bench press (93%)
		2) Decline bench press, Olympic bar (89%)
		3) Push-ups between benches (88%)

Pectoralis minor
		1) Incline dumbbell bench press (91%)
		2) Incline bench press, Olympic bar (85%)
		3) Incline dumbbell flys (83%)

Medial,Posterior,Anterior Deltoids (one exercise each 'head')
		1) (Medial) = Incline dumbbell side laterals (66%)
		2) (Posterior) = Standing dumbbell bent laterials (85%)
		3) (Anterior) = Seated front dumbbell press (79%)

Triceps
		1) Decline triceps extensions, Olympic bar (92%)
		2) Triceps press downs, angled bar (90%)
		3) Triceps dips between benches (87%)

Latisssimus dorsi
		1) Bent over barbell rows (93%)
		2) One-arm dumbell rows, alternating (91%)
		3) T-bar rows (89%)

LOWER BODY

Rectus femoris (quads)
		1) Squats, to 90 degree angle (88%)
		2) Seated leg extensions,toes straight (86%)
		3) Hack squats  (78%)

Bicep femoris and Semitendinosus (hamstrings)
		1) B. femoris  = Standing leg curls (82%)
		2) Semitendinosus = Seated leg curls (88%)

Gastrocnemius (calf muscle)
		1) Donkey raises (80%)
		2) Standing one-leg calf raises, alternating (79%)
		3) Standing two-leg calf raises  (68%)

Torso ('Power zone')

	Be sure to do exercises every other day on these muscles
--unfortunately there is no 'EMG' data on best exercises. Ask your
weight room trainer for some 'favorite exercises' and this is a very
important area of body to work on and develop power!

My last missive on this subject will deal with how many 'reps' and
'sets' to do, as well as how often. So we will be seeing you all in
the weight room soon !!!

Coach Midnight
====
BECOME AN OFFICIAL
June 17th there will be a clinic in Chico at 6:30 p.m. at In Motions
Fitness at 1293 E. 1st Ave.  Take 1st Ave. exit off of 99 and go
east.  To become carded one must pass the test for Stroke and Turning
and work the deck with officials.

JUST FOOLING AROUND
After over a year of trying to get the meet results in the standard
format for reporting swimming results, we finally got the software to
work. I took the results for the 2002 SCY championships and the
recent Walnut Creek meet brought the information in and massaged it.
I then reprinted event results without age groups categories. If you
want to see who made the top 16 times of all the contested events see
the results below (LCM is only the top ten).

The top 16 times of the championships by sex by event (all the age
groups together) is at
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/02/02cruzscy16.html

The top ten times of the Walnut Creek LCM meet by sex by event is at
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/02/02wcmlcmtop10.html

have a good week

michael

--