[PacMasterUpdate] UPDATE 7/22/02 (fwd)

pacmasterupdate-admin at PacificMasters.org Mon Jul 22 01:02:28 EDT 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 03:30:25 -0000
From: mwmoore at sonic.net
To: pacmastersupdate at pacificmasters.org
Subject: UPDATE 7/22/02

Greetings from the City of Smiles - Bangkok, Thailand. If you are reading this, it
is because I was able to remember about three sets of passwords, to log on to
send the material, to look at the maillist manager and to approve it..

RAY TAFT (1920?-2002)
I just recieved an email that Ray Taft has passed away. Ray is a member of the
International Hall of Swimming and was awarded the Ransom Arthur award
(USMS's highest award for its volunteers).

I just received an email from Nancy Ridout telling me of his passing. For more
information I would try the Marlins or Dale Finch (both can be found on the
Pacific Masters web site.
     http://www.pacificmasters.org/
I just recieved the information as I was going to mail the update. I am sitting in
an Internet cafe in Bangkok. When I recieve more information I will put it on the
web site.
Rest in Peace Ray Taft.
=============

Oh For the upadate

UPCOMING EVENTS
PACIFIC MASTERS MEETING
The next meeting of the Pacific Masters LMSC is Wednesday July 24th.
Information on how to get there is on the Pacific Masters web page
	http//www.pacificmasters.org/index.shtml

SANTA CRUZ OPEN WATER
There are three open water events the first weekend in August. One is on
Saturday and two are on Sunday. (Joel Wilson keeps sending me email saying
which ones are on the correct days, but the notes for that are 8000 miles away).
Registration is THIS WEEK if you want to swim in the Pier to Pier Swim. The
other two you may deck enter.

Donner Lake Swim
The Donner Lake Swim is around the 12. (It is tough doing the update when you
dont have your calendar. It is coming back after a one year hiatus. Brandon
Carter is running the meet. The swim is a straight line about 2.5 miles (maybe it
is more - but information is on the meet sheet)

LAKE DEL VALLE 2X1 SWIM
The Lake Del Valle is the week after the Donner Lake Swim.This is a real fun
swim so talk to you friend, spouse, significant other, child and swim with them.
The meet entry sheet is on the Manatee portion of the web site. Go to the Pacific
Masters web site, in the blue bar on the left is a link to the Manatees, click that
and there should be a link to the 2x1 swim.

have a good week.

michael

OFF THE WALL
It is tough doing the update when you dont have your notes in front of you nor
have the Internet access you are used to. It is 3pm Sunday afternoon in
Bangkok, where I am writing this. I just did the calculation and I think it is 1 am
Sunday morning in San Francisco. Jet lag did not affect me as much as it has in
the past, but I am a little tired.

You know how ubiquitous the Internet is when you are 40km from the center of
Bangkok, in an hotel that caters to Thais, and on the paper coaster where the
bartender puts the drinks it says
	http//www.bangkok-hotel.com

I am still in search of facts and places to swim in Thailand. Hope to have more to
report next week.

mm