[PacMasterUpdate] Pacific Masters Update February 9, 2003

pacmasterupdate-admin at PacificMasters.org Mon Feb 10 00:56:05 EST 2003

SICK CALL - DORE SCHWAB
The sad news is that Dore had a cerebral hemorrhage in the brain stem
last night.  His family thought they had lost him but he has pulled
through, at least so far.   The better news is that though problems
in this area affect fundamental movements, such as breathing, they
also regenerate more completely than those higher up in the brain.
However, it could happen again though it's good that it hasn't within
the last 24 hours.

He can't have visitors for a few days or phone calls.  If you want to
send a card, his address is:
Dore Schwab
PO Box 772
Ross, CA  94957

Dore has served as chairman of Pacific Masters, Marketing chair,
Fitness chair, he has worked as an official at meets. He has always
been one of the most courtly and gracious of gentlemen.

UPCOMING MEETS:
DONT WASTE YOUR BASE
Tamalpias has its" Dont Waste Your Base" 1650 postal swim. If you
competed in the Mile Swim, you can take your 1650 time to compete in
this annual event.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/03tamscy.pdf

PMS INDOOR RELAYS.
The San Mateo Marlin Masters Pac Masters Indoor Relay will be Sunday
February 23rd at the Oceana Pool in Pacifica, California. This meet
is deck entry only. Now is the time to get your team together to plan
to enter the meet.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/03smmmscy.html

RINCONADA MEET
The Rinconda meet (March 8th)  has been moved from Rinconada Swimming
pool to the pool at Menlo Atherton High School.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/03rincscy.html
====
BECOME A MEET OFFICIAL
There will be clinics for new meet officials at the following places:
Clinic #3 - Sonora, California
     This clinic will take place at Stuft Pizza on Thursday February
20, 2003.  It will be held from 6:30 - 8:30 PM.  This is in East
Sonora 108 a couple of miles from downtown.  I will get better
directions soon and let everyone know.  If you need any further help,
contact:  Lin Freer at <leaf at sonora-area.org>

Clinic #4 - Redding, California
     This clinic will take place on Saturday March 15, 2003.  It will
be held at Shasta College and probably will start at 9:00 AM.  I will
have more information on this clinic soon.  If you need any further
help, contact: Pat Roche at <proche at sbcglobal.net>
====
Pacific Masters AFFILIATE - LANDS END
Lands End is a maker of fine sports apparel for the active person.
Click on the link to Lands' End from the Pacific Masters web site
Lands' End will rebate some of the money of your purchase to Pacific
Masters.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org
USMS AFFILIATE AMAZON
If you use this link
	http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html/102-9803845-3389747
or go to the USMS web site and hit the link there, USMS will receive
an affiliate fee. Amazon has a great selection of books and CDs.
===
BREASTSTROKE BUGABOO Rev 1.01
After a couple emails from very knowledgeable people, lets go to rev
1.01 of Breaststroke Bugaboo. Thanks to the people writing in for
getting this out so that dqs are at a minimum.

In the freestyle, after 15 meters (from the block or turn) at least
some part of the body must be above the water at all times. For
swimmers who are doing the breaststroke in the freestyle event, you
may be disqualified if you glide underwater.  Rule 101.5 "Some part
of the swimmer must break the surface of the water throughout the
race, except it shall be permissible for the swimmer to be completely
submerged during the turn and for a distance of not more than 15
meters after the start and each turn."

LASTNAME LOOKUP AND TEAM LOOKUP/ Team rosters
The 2003 Last name lookup is working so team representative may see
if a person is registered with Pacific Masters. The last name look up
is current through last Friday. The team look up is not working right
now.

Last week a team roster was sent by email to each team roster. If
your team did not receive a copy let Michael Moore know and it will
be resent.

HAWAII INTERNATIONAL MASTERS SWIM MEET
The Hawaii International Masters Swim Meet, a 25 meter meet, will be
held at the fabulous Kihei Aquatic Center located in Kihei on the
island of Maui on Friday, June 27th and Saturday, June 28th, 2003. A
fun filled "Hawaiian Beach Barbeque" will cap the festivities on
Saturday evening.
	http://www.hawaiimastersswim.org/

Have a good week.

Michael

OFF THE WALL
Last summer I took a trip to Thailand. While there I took about 1400
pictures with my digital camera. One of them was a nice picture of
Wat Arun - the Temple of the Dawn. I submitted it to Macdesktops and
it was featured this week. Macdesktops has a pictures that can be
used as desktops (Macintosh) or Wallpaper (PCs). If you are looking
for a picture of an exotic place, the picture is of the Thai temple,
with the Chao Phraya river in the foreground
                     http://www.macdesktops.com or if not there

then
	http://www.macdesktops.com/index.phtml?&res=TRUE&category=396

Take a look at some of the great pictures they have there.

--
michael w. moore
michael at mwmoore.org