[PacMasterUpdate] Pacific Masters Update, February 22, 2004

pacmasterupdate-admin at PacificMasters.org Mon Feb 23 00:22:18 EST 2004

RINCONADA MEET - OOPS
The Rinconada Spring Meet will be Saturday, March
6th, 2006 at MENLO ATHERTON HIGH SCHOOL Swimming
Pool. NOTE: this is the Menlo Atherton High
School - not the place announce in the last
Update If you wish to swim the first event - the
1000 Free, you must pre-enter the meet.
Registration deadline is this Friday, February
20th. For all the other events you may deck
enter. FOR THOSE WHO ARE TRYING TO MAKE
QUALIFYING TIMES FOR NATIONALS, THIS IS THE LAST
MEET BEFORE USMS SCY NATIONALS ARE DUE.
--------
PACIFIC MASTERS - LARGEST CLUBS IN USMS
Pacific Masters had 9 of the 12 largest USMS
clubs in 2003. The large number of members is a
tribute to the work of the Coaches and club
management. Congratulations!!!
Rank	Members	Name
1	792	Davis Aquatic Masters
3	447	Walnut Creek Masters
4	414	Menlo Masters
6	373	University of San Francisco Masters
7	295	Santa Clara Swim Club Mst
8	293	Stanford Masters
9	292	Strawberry Canyon Aquatic Masters
10	278	Tuolumne County Aquatic Masters
12	274	Manatee Aquatic Masters Inc
(The list of clubs did not include the LMSCs that have one club for the LMSC).

1650 POSTAL- THIS IS THE LAST WEEK OF THE COMPETITION
Tamalpias Aquatic Masters is sponsoring two
events:  the Postal 1650. Both events can be done
at your home pool. The 1650, by the February 29th
(an extra day this year).
All of the meet sheets can be obtained on the Pacific Masters schedule page
  	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/schd.html
---------
RELAY MEET
The San Mateo Master Marlins Relay meet is
February 29. Bring your team mates and compete
against other clubs in the LMSC.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/schd.html

---------
HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE
How to unsubscribe reply to
PacMasterUpdate at PacificMasters.org. We have a
volunteer who has been taking care of people who
unsubscribe by emailing the above address. If
you sent a request to unsubscribe , it will get
done.
--------

-------
OFFICIALS CLINIC - REDDING
Shasta College said we can hold a Stroke and Turn
Clinic on February 28, 2004. Use the website
below to look at the map of the Shasta College
campus.

http://www3.shastacollege.edu/studev/tour/tourmap.htm

Mark has requested the room next to the pool, but the lady in charge had to
check with the basketball coaches to see if they need the room.  We will
have an early check in at 8:30 AM and the clinic will start at 9:00 AM and
last until 12:00 PM.

If there are any questions please contact:

Mark Wagner, Head Coach of the Redding Aqua Ducks <aquaduck at c-zone.net> or
Pat Roche <proche at sbcglobal.net>
-----------
USMS SHORT COURSE YARDS CHAMPIONSHIPS IN INDIANAPOLIS
The complete meet information is now avaiable for
the 2004 USMS Short Course National Championships
at
	 http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats04/.
The meet will be held April 22-25 at the IUPUI Natatorium in Indianapolis.

The on line entry system is now available for the short course nationals at
	http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats04/onlineentry.shtml .

Entries will be accepted there until midnight on March 18 (EST).
=======
Getting to the Heart of the Matter (Part3),

by Coach Midnight

Following up on my previous articles on 'Heart
Rate' --- what practical use can one find from
taking one's pulse during or after exercising ?
Well, first of all I hope all realize that if
they want to accurately know what one's maximum
heart rate is they would do well to have that
done in a clinical situation (ie, by a treadmill
stress test) by a cardiologist or an exercise
physiologist.

However, if that is not feasible --- and assuming
you are wearing an electronic 'Heart Rate
Monitor'; the kind a lot of triathletes use in
their training nowadays -- you can do the
following 'swim test'.  Do a series of descending
200's Free with at least 1 minute rest between
swims.  The first one should be at about 90%
effort, the next at 95%, and the third at 100%
(or a max effort swim).  Using your Heart Rate
Monitor -- record the highest heart rate you
achieve at the end of each 200.  NOTE: if your
"MAX" heart rate levels out from #2 to #3 -- that
is your max heart rate. However, if it is still
'going up'  -- do a 4th 200  free (again at max
effort) -- to make sure you have reached your
maximum heart rate.

I would not recommend  doing the old "take a
pulse check at wrist/neck" after each swim as
that method can be so inaccurate that it is only
good for a  'general ballpark estimate'  -- due
to 'double counting' of heart beats (very common
-- I cant tell you how many swimmers have told me
they 'got' a pulse check of 240 BPM !!), lag time
from when one -- "finishes swim - clear goggles -
read pace clock to start counting - take a 6 or
10 second pulse check - etc -etc".  By that time
one's heart rate could have already dropped 10 to
12 beats.  Not very accurate !

So -- how does one use all of this to help them train more effectively ??

Here is a practical swim test to ascertain how
'focus' one's training; First of all one needs to
know: A) Your Maximum Heart Rate (for swimming),
B) Calculate  90% of that Maximum and  60% of
that maximum.

So if a swimmer had a MHR of 200;  90% = 180 BPM  and 60% = 120 BPM.

Then do a set of 4 x 400's free repeats with
between 1.5 and 2.0 minutes rest between swims.
Each repeat should be 'fast enough/hard enough'
to get your heart rate up to that 90% of max
level.  Take a pulse check 30 seconds after that,
and again 30 seconds after that (and so  on if
needed).

If, on average, your HR drops from that 90% level
to the 60% level in 30 seconds or less -- your
aerobic energy systems are probably 'maximized'.
It would be more productive to spend more time on
'event/race' specific training such as broken
swims and 'race pace' sets.  Use Anaerobic
Threshold (AT) training and VO2 max training only
enough to maintain your level of aerobic
conditioning.

If, however, your HR takes from 30 to 60 seconds
to drop from that 90% level to 60% level  -- you
need to spend the bulk of your training at or
around Anaerobic Threshold Pace (AT Pace work).
An example would be 20 x 100's free with 10 to 15
seconds rest with all swims at your fastest
"even-paced" speed.

Finally, if it takes more than a minute for your
HR to drop down to that 60% level -- you need to
work at building your aerobic base. It would be
counterproductive to do very much in the way of
high intensity aerobic sets. The bulk of your
training should be in the range of 65 to 80% of
max heart rate.
----------
SWIMMING SITUATION FROM BILL ROSE OF SIERRA NEVADA LSC
(This situation has the same rules as USMS).

This situation was sent to me from one of the
Sierra Nevada Officials.  I wanted to share it
with all of you, so we can get on the same page,
for the swimmer's sake.

"I was at a meet this weekend and became involved
in a backstroke situation that I wish to relate
to all officials, as there was division amongst
the attending officials for the proper call to
make, and the coach---who's swimmer the situation
had occurred to---explained further that this
same situation had happened earlier last year and
againŠthe officials present were divided as how
to make the call.

The swimmer was legally swimming on the back when
at the turn wall they turned over past vertical
onto the breast, and being too close to the wall
to kick or float they reached out and grabbed the
wall immediately, hung on and dangled their feet,
took a breath or two, and at the time the toes
(swimmer) left the wall, the swimmer resumed the
proper backstroke position; the question dividing
the group of officials present, "Was this a
disqualification?"

Some felt that yes, the action merited a
disqualification, being that the non-continuous
turn was broken by stopping at the wall; it was
not a smooth, continuous turning action. However,
the correct answer is that the turn was legal.

The swimmer had done nothing to disqualify
themselves through the non-continuous turn, and
as soon as the swimmer touched the wall---the
non-continuous turn stops---leaving them to
finish turning in any manner they choose until
the time the toes (swimmer) leaves the wall when
the swimmer must be on the back.

At the turn wall, USA Swimming's interpretation
is that the swimmer was TRYING to perform a
non-continuous turn, ran out of room, and once an
upper body touch occurredŠthe non-continuous turn
ceased.  As officials we judge what we see and
not what we think the swimmer is doing, and
therefore we must accept the attempted
non-continuous turn even if it looks like the
swimmer simply turned over to touch the wall, the
swimmer shall have the benefit of the doubt.

A disqualification is in order when the swimmer
violates the non-continuous turn prior to the
upper body touching the turning wall---by
floating or excessive kicking---or when the
swimmer turns over past vertical towards the
breast and touches at the finish wall at the time
of the finish."
========
have a good week
michael