[PacMasterUpdate] Pacific Masters Update, April 18, 2004

pacmasterupdate-admin at PacificMasters.org Sun Apr 18 22:50:04 EDT 2004

PACIFIC MASTERS OFFICE WILL BE CLOSED AT TIMES DURING APRIL AND JUNE
(THIS WEEK)
The Pacific Masters Office will be closed April 20 - April 25  (This
Week) and May 29- June 14th. For open water swimmers who want to
register, please do it early, so your card be processed. (This is
important for those swimmers who will be swimming the Trans Tahoe
Relay.)
-------
FOR SWIMMERS GOING TO WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
CONTACT SCOTT WILLIAMS
If you are going to the X FINA World Masters Championships in
Riccione, Italy,  please contact Scott Williams, he will be one of
the USMS Masters coaches  there. He and the other coaches would like
to get USMS swim caps for the swimmers competing in Italy. Also if
you would like coaching and your coach is not going, you can contact
one of the USMS coaches while you are there.
	MAILTO:swilliams at olyclub.com

For North Bay swimmers training for FINA Championships in Italy or
other distance swims, the Petaluma Swim Center's 50 meter pool opens
Saturday, April 3, from 11:00 - 1:00.  Take 101 to Petaluma, exit
west on Washington. The pool is adjacent to Highway 101.

COACHES GOING TO INDIANAPOLIS
If you are a coach who is going to Indianapolis and would like to
work on deck, please contact Scott William of the Olympic Club.
	mailto:swimmilams at olyclub.com
----
CHAMPIONSHIPS PICTURE
Dan Wood of University of California - Santa Cruz took a picture of
Pacific Masters Swimmers in the Pool on Saturday of championships.
Many swimmers have asked how to get a copy of the picture. The
picture costs $10.00 - Send a check made out to UCSC Foundation. Send

	Dan Wood
	UCSC East Fieldhouse
	University of California - Santa Cruz
	Santa Cruz, CA

Your $10.00 check will be matched by $10.00 from the chancellors fund
so that $20.00 will go to the UCSC Swimming program. (Let's see if we
can break the Chancellors "bank").
-----
BATTLE OF THE BAY
TriValley Masters is sponsoring the Battle of the Bay,  a six hour
team marathon. It is open to 20 teams only with a minimum of 12
swimmers each. There are awards - $500 to the first place team, 2nd
get $250 and third place gets $100.  Now it the time to start putting
your team together.

OPEN WATER CLINIC AND ONE MILE SWIM
San Mateo Master Marlins are sponsoring two Open Water Clinics
followed by a One Mile swim. the Open Water clinic will be Saturdays
April 10th and 17th. The Open Water Swim is May 8th.

MEMORIAL FOR ALAN LIU
A memorial for Alan Liu, head coach of Mountain View Masters will be
held at Dinkelspiel Auditorium on the Stanford University Campus,
Sunday, April 25 at 1pm.

A fund has also been set up to support Alan's life and athletic
interests.  It is:
	Alan Liu Memorial Fund
	c/o Bank of the West
	501 Castro St.
	Mountain View, CA 94041

WORKOUT TO HONOR HEAD COACH ALAN LIU
(by Laura Schuster) Friday, April 23: Mtn. View Masters Swim Workout
to Honor of Head Coach Alan Liu and support Jill Mason:

In honor of Alan Liu who died tragically on Sunday, April 11 by a
drunk driver while riding his bike in Napa, Mtn. View Masters would
like to invite all masters teams near and far to hold a "memorial
swim workout" in his honor (and to support Jill Mason's recovery)
during Friday, April 23rd workouts.

You can join us at our pool at Eagle Park in Mountain View, CA or
hold this workout at your own pool. Our workout hours are 5am, 6am,
and 7am.

This is what we plan to do (it's a combination of several of Alan's
favorite things to torture us with):

After your normal warmup:

10x100 FAST on the 3:00. To make this workout more challenging, 5
pullouts after #3, 5, and 7. He always made us do pullouts on Monday
mornings if the Raiders lost. At the end of this workout, we
challenge everyone to complete a 200 FLY. One of Alan's favorite
things to give us on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Even if the Raiders won.
=====

PRELIMINARY ONE HOUR SWIM RESULTS
The preliminary ONE HOUR SWIM results have been posted on the USMS
web site (soon to be on the Pacific Masters Site).
	http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2502

TEAM LISTS SENT OUT
A team list was sent out to the team representative. The following
teams  had email that bounced.
	Strawberry Canyon Aquatic Masters
	Alpine Hills Swimming Masters
	El Cerrito Aquatic Masters
	Los Gatos Swim and Raquet Club
	Napa Valley Masters

WEB DEVELOPER WANTED (USMS contract position)
USMS is soliciting applications for the position of Web Developer to
assist the USMS Webmaster. This position will be involved in all
phases of development and maintenance of the USMS web site. Such
development includes the design and maintenance of a MySQL database,
creation of custom PHP and Perl scripts to drive the web site and to
provide for USMS administrative features, and web page layout and
design. The application deadline for this position is May 16. Details
for those interested can be found
	http://www.usms.org/admin/webadposter.pdf

---------
HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE
How to unsubscribe reply to PacMasterUpdate at PacificMasters.org. We
have a volunteer who has been taking care of people who unsubscribe
by emailing the above address. If  you sent a request to unsubscribe
, it will get done.
--------
Have a good week

michael

OFF THE WALL - BATTERIES
I have had a little pocket radio that I carry around listening to
'news-talk' or music. After being away for a week, I turned it on and
it would not work. I opened the case to replace the batteries and
there was a white gunk leaking from one of the batteries.

When I have bought batteries in the past from the large name brands
they have had a guarantee to repair or replace the equipment that had
been damaged by one of their batteries. Just sent the equipment and
batteries to the address on the box that the batteries came in.

The batteries that I bought were from a large warehouse store that
has their own brand  that is "guaranteed to meet or exceed the
quality standards" of the other brands.

I called up the 800 number and was told the bring in the equipment
and batteries. I went to the warehouse to bring it back. There I was
told that they will just give me back my money for the batteries and
that is the extent of their guarantee (which they did).

As being kind of a geek, many of the electronic things that I have
require batteries. If a battery leaks in a flash light or cheap
radio, I can buy cheap batteries and if they leak it is just part of
the cost of the battery. For more expensive equipment I will go to a
company that stands behind their battery.
--
michael w. moore
michael at mwmoore.org