[PacMasterUpdate] Pacific Masters Update, March 3

pacmasterupdate at PacificMasters.org Thu Mar 3 03:37:23 EST 2005

UPCOMING EVENTS
RINCONADA SPRING SHORT COURSE MEET
The Rinconada Spring Short Course meet returns to the Rinconada Pool
in Palo Alto on Saturday March 12, 2005. The pre entry deadline is
March 02.
ENTRIES FOR THE 1000 FREESTYLE must be received by March 5th. For
more information contact Jim Shaw at jshaw45 at sbcglobal.net

STRAWBERRY CANYON INVITATIONAL
The Strawberry Canyon Aquatic Masters Invitational Meet will be
Saturday March 19. PreEntries must be received by March 9th.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/schd.html

ON YOUR MARK!
Mark your calendars!  USMS Coach of the Year Scott Williams of the
Olympic Club will host a clinic to prepare competitors for the
upcoming short course Pacific Championships in April.

The focus will be on  starts and turns in the Olympic Club's new
indoor facility.

Space is limited to 50 participants.

Clinic Date:  Sunday, March 27
Time:  4:00 to 5:30 pm
Location:  The Olympic Club, 665 Sutter Street, San Francisco
Cost: $25

Make checks payable to Pacific Masters, and send check with a copy of
current USMS registration to:

	Leianne Crittenden
	1 Indian Gulch Rd.
	Piedmont, CA  94611

If you provide your phone number with your payment, phone
confirmation of attendance will be made by Friday March 18.

For more information, please contact Leianne at (650)506-3933 or by
email at <mailto:LeianneC at aol.com>LeianneC at aol.com

Thanks to Scott Williams and the Olympic Club for putting this on.
--------
PRELIMINARY SCM TOP TEN
The preliminary SCM top ten is out. Please check it at
	http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/
======
NEW LOOK FOR USMS WEB SITE
The USMS web site has undergone a transformation into a new modern
look. The transformation has included navigation and how the
information is conveyed to the web surfer.
	http://www.usms.org

ARTICLES ON USMS WEB SITE
There are articles of the month on the USMS website. The latest
article is on hydration. There are many articles about swimming and
swimmers on the web site:
	http://www.usms.org/articles/articledisplay.php

STREAMLINES
The latest issue of Streamlines has been posted. Streamlines is a
newsletter about and for the management of United States Masters
Swimming. Everyone is invited to read it.
	http://www.usms.org/admin/nycu.php

USMS ELECTIONS
Elected Officers and Directors on the USMS Board of Directors ("BOD")
are elected by the members of the House of Delegates at the annual
meetings. The elected BOD positions and their election schedule can
be found in the current USMS Code of Regulations and Rules of
Competition (Articles 505: OFFICERS and 506: BOARD OF DIRECTORS).
Processes for the election are governed by the current version of the
Election Operating Guidelines.  Information about the elections is on
the USMS web site
	http://www.usms.org/admin/election05/

LOOKING FOR GOOD LINKS THAT TELL ABOUT THE SAN FRANCISCO
We are looking for good web links that  would tell visitors about the
San Francisco Bay Area. These links would be for the XI FINA World
Masters Championships web site.
   please email your suggested links to mailto:links at pacificmasters.org

USMS GOVERNANCE
A thread has been started on the Discussion Forum to discuss new
proposals from the Governance Task Force.  The Task Force wants to be
sure that all delegates are aware of the new proposals and have an
opportunity to comment.  Below is the initial posting on the Forum
under Long Range Planning/USMS Governance Task Force.

Major changes concerning the Officers and the Board of Directors were
passed at the 2004 convention.  Since then, the Governance Task Force
(formed by the USMS Planning Committee) has been working on the
definition of powers and responsibilities for the House of Delegates
(HOD), Board of Directors (BOD), and Executive Committee (EC).  A
report and the documents can be found at:
http://usms.org/admin/policies/content/governance_policies.

SPMA SPRING SWIM CAMP
The Mission Viejo Masters, Mark Moore and Karlyn Pipes-Nelson will be
holding the SPMA Spring swim Camp March 18-20. Also coaching will be
Wayne McCauley and Nadine Day. Hosted by the Mission Viejo Nadadores
Masters. ($225) for more information http://www.mastersmvmswim.org

AQUATHON
The Community Association for Rehabilitation (www.c-a-r.org) raises
money with an Aquathon every September. The mission of CAR is to
support and promote the achievements of people with developmental and
other disabilities so they can continue to be valued members of the
community. The aquathon is a 30-minute 8-person relay where local
companies and community groups compete against each other. It is
normally held at a pool somewhere on the peninsula and is a lot of
fun. Each participant is expected to raise a minimum of $50.

Please contact me, Ginny Langmuir (vklangmuir at yahoo.com), if you
would be interested in putting together a team for either your
masters team or for your company. I have been a volunteer adapted
aquatics instructor for children with developmental disabilities for
6 years and these children benefit in countless ways from being able
to spend time in the pool.

STROKE AND TURN CLINIC IN NEVADA CITY
Here are the directions to the Stroke and Turn Officials Clinic hosted
by the Grass Valley Penguins.  Please RSVP to Brian Rhodes at
(530) 265-1559.   or E-mail    brian.rhodes at co.nevada.ca.us

Meeting Place     Nevada County Superintendent of Schools Offices
                            Houser Room
                            112 Nevada City Highway
                            Nevada City, CA 95959

(located on the corner of Ridge Road and Nevada City Highway)

Meeting Time       March 23rd, 2005     at  6:30 PM
-------

thank you.

Have a good week

michael

Sorry i have not written much. Last week at this time (I think - I am
losing track of time) - I was in Washington, DC to meet with a State
Department Official to talk about Visas for swimmers who want to
attend the FINA World Masters Championships.

Now I am in Shanghai, China to give a progress report on the
championships. And we are a day ahead of you. Anyway I should be back
in San Francisco, on Sunday and then maybe I will be back to normal
and the Update will come out regularly. - well more regular.

Talking of losing track of time: I leave Shanghai at 9am Sunday. I
arrive San Francisco at 7:40am Sunday. I get there before I leave.
--
Michael W. Moore                          City College of San Francisco
IS Administrator                           50 Phelan Ave