[PacMasterUpdate] Pacific Masters Update, July 28, 2005

pacmasterupdate at PacificMasters.org Fri Jul 29 01:03:00 EDT 2005

SANTA CRUZ OPEN WATER
The Santa Cruz open water swims will be on Saturday July 30 (Santa
Cruz Pier Swim), Sunday July 31 Pier to Pier and the Cruz Cruise.
Santa Cruz meet sheets have been posted on the web site. They will
take deck entries
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/schd.html

USMS LONG COURSE NATIONALS
I received from Mark Moore, coach of Mission Viejo, about the USMS
Nationals. They are keeping the sixth event for those who are
swimming there

DONNER LAKE OPEN WATER SWIM
The Donner Lake 2.7 mile Open Water swim will be Saturday, August 6th.

PINECREST LAKE OPEN WATER SWIM
The Pinecrest Lake open water swim is on Saturday, August 27th.
Shiela Monaghan wrote that she swam in Pinecrest lake for 2 hours and
it was absolutely lovely. The temperature was perfect for long swims.
There is an error in the pre-entry deadline. The real deadline is
August 13th.

GEORGE CUNNINGHAM RIP
George Cunningham passed away yesterday. Tillie said there will be a
service on Tuesday, August 9th, at 2pm, at St. Timothy's Episcopal
Church in Mountain View. George received the first male Pacific
Masters swimmer of the year award in 1981.

He swam for Tam Masters for many years. When he retired, he moved to
Felton and help found the Santa Cruz Masters Swim Club. George was
honored at the recent Pacific Masters Swimming Long Course
championships as a founder. George had worked many years as meet
director of the any meet that held at Santa Cruz.

George was graduate of the University of California and bled "blue."
He also thought that the breast stroke was the most perfect stroke
devised by man.

NANCY RIDOUT NAME TO FINA MASTERS COMMITTEE
Pacific Masters registrar was named to the FINA Masters Committee it
was announced in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The FINA Masters Committee
runs the FINA World Masters Championships and considers all items
that may be of interest to Masters Swimmers.

Congratulations, Nancy!!!!

SICK CALL - MICHAEL MILLIMAN
Michael was in an auto accident june 24th. His trucks brakes locked
up as he was driving down Walnut Creeks Ygnacia Valley Road. The
truck rolled a couple of times and Michale injured his neck. He
thinks he will be in a neck brace 2 to 4 months. He hopes to be back
in the water soon, but it will be up to the doctors.

Have a good week

michael

OFF THE WALL
I received many suggestions on how to keep my telephone costs low
during my recent trip to Montreal. I did two things. I got
international roaming for my cell phone. I also bought an
international phone card at Costco - It still has not been used.

thanks to everyone who wrote. I do appreciate it.
--
michael
Michael W. Moore, chairman

michael at 2006FINAMasters.org