[PacMasterUpdate] Special Update Pacific Masters Update September 24, 2005

pacmasterupdate at PacificMasters.org Sat Sep 24 13:53:40 EDT 2005

There are two items for this update. the first involves LatyCar
Championships and possible suspension of swimmers who compete there.

The other items involves changes in the Breaststroke rule that was
adopted by US Masters Swimming at it convention in Greensboro, NC
last weekend. This rule will be in effect at tomorrows Alan Liu
Memorial meet in Mountain View.

michael

--------
LATyCAR

To LMSC Chairs, USMS House of Delegate members, and other interested parties;

Please be advised USMS has been notified by Orban Mendoza (President
of A.S.U.A. /U.A.N.A.) that members who participate in the ALL
AMERICAS - LatyCar Championships could be subject to suspension for a
minimum period of one year according to FINA Rule GR.4.5. FINA GR4
deals with unauthorized relations, the text can be found at
<http://www.fina.org/rules/GR/rules_gr1.htm#4>www.fina.org/rules/GR/rules_gr1.htm#4
.

At this time we do not know definitively what actions, if any, will
be taken by FINA, ASUA or LATyCAR. Dale Neuburger (USAS President
and FINA Bureau Vice President), Rob Copeland (USMS President) and
other USMS leaders continue to lobby for our members to participate
in this event without adverse impact to their eligibility. However,
it is our responsibility to inform our members of possible
consequences. If you know of any of Masters athletes who are
registered for this event, please pass this information on to them.
Also, inform your athletes that after conversations with the meet
organizer the event will proceed as planned.

We will continue to work towards finding a compromise solution that
is in the best interests of USMS and our members. I will communicate
any further developments via follow-up emails.

Rob Copeland
President - United States Masters Swimming
======
BREASTSTROKE RULE INTERPRETATION

INTERPRETATION: The official interpretation for the changes to the
breaststroke (101.2) is that during, or at the end of the arm
pull-down of the first stroke after the start and after each turn, a
single downward butterfly kick is allowed, but not required, followed
by a breaststroke kick. During the pull-down, if a downward
butterfly kick is taken, it must be followed by a breaststroke kick.
It is not permissible to take only a downward butterfly kick without
then taking a normal breaststroke kick. The downward butterfly kick
is not permissible prior to the arm pull-down. In addition, there is
now a requirement for all movements of the legs to be "in the same
horizontal plane and without alternating movement". This was
previously not included in our rules.

BACKSTROKE TOES ABOVE WATER
INTERPRETATION: The official interpretation for the change to the
backstroke rules is that the toes are no longer required to be under
the surface of the water at the start. However, the toes are still
not allowed to be above the lip of the gutter or curled over the lip
of the gutter. The change was made so that when full-face pads are
used (pads that extend above the gutter) there is no requirement to
have the toes under the water. From a practical standpoint there is
no change when using touch pads that hang on the pool gutter.

NOTE: This interpretation is subject to change based upon further
consultations with FINA at a meeting scheduled for October. (ED NOTE
This means that you could be dqed for something that is changed
later).

There were a couple of minor changes to the backstroke about the turn
and the finish.

Full text is at http://www.usms.org/admin/conv05/rules-2005-9-22-5.pdf
--
michael