[PacMasterUpdate] Pacific Masters Update October 2, 2005

pacmasterupdate at PacificMasters.org Mon Oct 3 01:35:36 EDT 2005

CHANGE IN SWIMMING RULES
Starting Sepetember 19th Backstrokers could start with their toes out
of the water (but not curled over the gutter).

The Breaststoker can now do a dolphin kick off the wall. I would not
try it now, as everything has not been sorted out. So there is a
chance you could do it leagally and get dq'ed or do it wrong and get
away with it. As USA Swimming and US Masters figure it out,
information will be in the update.

UPCOMING MEETS
Wine Country Invitational
Santa Rosa Masters will be holding the Wine Country Invitational in
Healdsburg, October 14 and 15 . You can enter online or you can enter
on race day.

Tuolumne County Masters
Tuolumne County Asked to change the date of their meet. The Board
voted to agree to the change, then we all went off to convention
neglecting to tell TCAM of the change. TCAM not not hearing from the
Board kept the old date. So the meet is on October 29th

The Tuolumne County Masters is October 29. It is a delightful short
course yards meet in the Sierra foothill town of Sonora. After
swimming in the meet, one can visit the gold rush town of Columbia.

PACIFIC MASTERS OFFICE CLOSED 3 OCTOBER THROUGH 10 OCTOBER
The Pacific Masters office will be closed from 3 October through 10
October while Nancy Ridout takes some time off.

SHORT COURSE METERS RECORDS
The 2005 Short Course Meters Records (both National And Pacific
Masters) have been posted to the web site. It will give swimmers a
goal to shoot for.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/records/05scmrec.pdf

CHANGE IN SCHEDULE
There was a problem with the Heather Farms pool schedule. The 2005
Pacific Masters Short Course Meters Championships have been moved to
November 4th, 5th and 6th. This meet is the first meet where the
distance events will be held on the last day.

STROKE CLINIC
DAVIS AQUATIC MASTERS will host stroke clinics for fitness
swimmers from 1-2:30 pm on the following dates at the Civic pool in
Davis just off the corner of 5th and B St.
Clinics are $10 each, pre-paid, for non-DAM members. Coach Rick
Powers has given more than 100 clinics in 30 countries. DAM staff and
swimmers will assist you in the water with your technique.
Freestyle on Sat. Oct. 8; Backstroke Sun. Oct. 9; Butterfly Sat.
Oct. 15; Breaststroke Sun.
Oct. 16.

BY THE NUBMERS

NUMBER OF PACIFIC MASTERS REGISTERED SWIMMERS 9417
NUMBER OF PEOPLE ON THE UPDATE MAIL LIST 15,019
DAYS TO THE XI FINA WORLD MASTERS CHAMPIONSHIPS: 307

Have a good week

michael

BOOST YOUR GAS MILEAGE BY ONE-THIRD
With the price of gasoline so high, and the price of natural gas
going to the stratosphere, it is time to look to save where you can.
A recent article in The Week has a few things we could do to cut down
on energy expense:
1. use cruise control. Letting a computer maintain your speed
can increase your mileage by 14 per cent.
2. trade in your 'lead food' for a feather foot. Drivers who
stomp on the accelerators burn as much as 35 percent more fuel than
their milder counter parts.
3. A well maintained vehicle will also rack up more miles per
gallon. "underinflated tires can reduce gas mileage dramatically
because of increased rolling resistance?
---
Interesting web site:
National Geographic put together an interesting web site. One thing
that is particularly great is the "Pete's Pond web cam
http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/wildcamafrica/wildcam.html

---
UNCLAIMED PROPERTY
About a year and a half ago, I mentioned the unclaimed property web
site of the secretary of State. It is always good to check it to see
if there is money owed you that went to the state. Last time swimmers
got over $20,000 back from the state. Try it - better odds than the
lotto.

http://www.sco.ca.gov/col/ucp/index.shtml
===
LETTER FROM LESOTHO
I received a letter from the Pacific Masters swimmer who is farthest
away from Pacific. My daughter is a Peace Corps Volunteer in Lesotho.
We received a note from her saying the will be coming home in the
beginning of December (yippee!!! - before Christmas). anyway A couple
of excerpts from two of her letters.

Hi Hi

Happy September! Almost there! Almost finished ! Spring is here, sort
of , and the crops are growing! I did a lot of plating last weekend,
so hopefully by next week, I will start seeing some baby plants. the
peas that I planted in May are pretty big now and starting to flower.
I will be eating pease in a couple of Weeks!

Daddy - I just received my latest (July/Aug) copy of swim magazine
(ed note - letter dated Sept 3). Saw your picture Contributor of the
year! Congrats! I saw all the open water swims I am missing . . .
and have picked the ones I will swim in 2006 (All of them!) I realize
that I am talking a lot considering that I have aged up ( a couple of
years ago) and have put on a pair of goggles in 1 year and 10 months.
. . but I am like Lance (Armstrong) and high altitude training !
Well, maybe not the training part, but the high altitude part for
sure! Well, maybe not even that because I think if Tahoe is at 7K ft,
it is higher than me. Well, whatever it is all mental. I am a mental
rock. Wait! no-that is not what I meant! Focused! Eye on the price!
Come January the SI pool will be torn up! Call the construction folk,
cause I am coming I realize that I may need fins and paddles to keep
up with Daddy on his kickboard . . . but I figure 2 months to get
to lane 3 and another 3 months to be swimming decently. that puts me
at May. . . right in time for Spring Lake (Ed Note: anytime a former
synchronized swimmer trys to tell you that you may out kick her, dont
believe it).
AJM 3 Sept 05

. . . I am doing well. the land is so beautiful and the people are
so friendly. I have had to adjust a little (a lot, maybe) to things
like walking 1 1/2 hours to catch public transport, and having
potatoes, tomatoes and onions being the only fresh produce I can buy,
but it has been quite an experience, Right now, it is winter, and we
are expecting snow any day now. Who would have thought that there
would be snow in Africa? Craziness!!!
Amanda Moore 14 Aug 05

--
michael