[PacMasterUpdate] Pacific Masters Update February 19, 2006

pacmasterupdate at PacificMasters.org Mon Feb 20 00:02:45 EST 2006

UPCOMING MEETS
21st ANNUAL PACIFIC MASTERS INDOOR RELAYS
The 21st Annual Pacific Masters Indoor Relays will be at the Oceana
High School Pool, Paloma Avenue, Pacifica, California, on Sunday 26
February 2006. This is a chance for you to get your relay team
together and practice for the relays that will be coming up at the
Pacific Masters Championships Short Course Championships, Long Course
Championships and the FINA Championships.

There is no pre-entry for this meet.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/06smmmscy.pdf

RINCONADA MASTERS SPRING SHORT COURSE MEET
The Rinconada Mastesr Spring meet will be held at the Rinconada Pool
in Palo Alto on March 11th. The pre-entry deadline is February 24th.
For those who have no prior competitive Masters experience there are
three special events: the 50 yard Free, and the 50 yard Back. For
those who are feeling studly, there is the 1650 yard fly. (you must
finish the event within 45 minutes).

The 1000 yard freestyle is the first event, there is no deck entries
for 1000 free only - you must pre-enter.

http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/06rincscy.pdf
DATE CHANGES
The Strawberry Canyon Meet will be on Sunday, March 19th 2006 at the
Spieker Pool, University of California, Berkeley, California
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/06scamscy.pdf
The Pacific Short Course Yards Championships will be 7-9 April in
Pleasanton, California.

NEW MEET THIS YEAR
Menlo Masters is holding a Long Course World Qualifying Meet at
Sacred Heart High School, Atherton, California 22 April.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/06wcmscy.pdf

SOCIAL EVENTS NEED YOUR LEADERSHIP
Want to help with the parties at the 2006 FINA World Championships?
If so, please contact Anne Cribbs at anne at 2006finamasters.org with
your contact info including email.

Event planning responsibilities include
1. Liaison with event company and 2006 Local Organizing Committee
2. Oversee marketing efforts and outreach to competitors
3. Recruit volunteers to help with day of event set up,
greeting, and clean up
4. Provide guidance and inspiration for all to have a great time!

Events include:

1. Ice cream social
2. Taste of California
3. Real Texas BBQ
4. DIne out in Palo Alto
5. South of the Border Feast

Thanks for your support of the 2006 FINA World Masters Championship
====
HELP WITH MAIL LIST REQUEST
Are there any volunteers out there who would like to take over the
entry of the FINA MASTERS mail list requests? We're up to about 20
per day now, so it's adding up fast the amount of time required to
move these names onto the email list, forward out of context dialog
on to the appropriate place, etc. If anyone who would like to take
on this task, please email mailto:webmaster at 2006FINAMasters.org

DORM ROOMS
The FINA Worlds Organizing Committee has secured a limited number of
Stanford Dorm rooms. Please note as Stanford says "Dorm Rooms" are
not hotel rooms and Stanford is not in the hotel business. These
rooms are used for students during the academic year and for
conferences during the summer season. More information is at the end
of this email.

====
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
Pacific Masters honors it volunteers who have contributed to the
sport of Masters Swimming. There are four awards for volunteers that
are given out at the Pacific Masters Short Course Yards Championships
to be held at Pleasanton.

The four awards are
Contributor of the Year (multiple awards)
Personal Achievement Award (only three)
Distinguished Service award
Appreciation Award
The criteria for the awards are at the end of the Update.

http://www.pacificmasters.org/newsltr/06/06janfeb.pdf

The Pacific Masters Committee voted to extend the deadline.
Nominations are due to Chairman Michael Moore by Pacific Masters
Monthly meeting on March 15th. If you wish to email them (Please
email them by Tuesday, March 14th evening awards at pacificmasters.org)
====
Top Ten SCM 2005 Preliminary lists are posted.

The USMS Short Course Meters 2005 Preliminary Top Ten have been
posted on the USMS web site. If you think you swam fast enough to be
on the top ten, please review the list:
http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/
If you have any questions, please contact Nancy Ridout
mailto:registrar at pacificmasters.org .

====
XI FINA WORLD MASTERS CHAMPIONSHIPS
FREE DRAW STRING BAG
The meet book for the XI FINA World Masters Championships is posted
on the 2006 FINA Masters Championships web site.
http://www.2006FINAMasters.org

In the meet book is the entry forms. The first 1000 athletes who
register will receive a quality nylon Drawstring Tote bag with the XI
FINA Masters logo when the are accredited at the meet. It does not
make any difference if you register by mail or on line. This
drawstring tote is make of 210D nylon and will be not be available
for sale. If you register now, you can change your times later
on-line (you have to submit your final entry times by 3 June).

The on-line meet entry system is still be worked on. Please check the
2006 FINA web site on 15 Feb for further update. When the on-line
meet entry system is ready, it will be announced in the Update.
====
LOGO'ED ITEMS OF APPAREL
Teams who are interested in special items of apparel, using the XI
FINA World Masters Championships log should contact
mailto:worldmastersproduct at speedousa.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Pacific Masters affiliate
Lands End

Pacific Masters entered into a new affiliate relationship with Lands'
End Apparel . Lands' End is a maker of fine sports apparel for the
active person.

If you click on the link to Lands' End from the Pacific Masters web
site (like the link above or the link in the navigation bar) Lands'
End will receive a rebate from your purchase

The Pacific Masters Logo'ed shirts that meet officials wear are from Lands End.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SANTA CLARA SWIM CLUB
Santa Clara Swim Club 55 Year Reunion & Tribute to George Haines,
June 23-25, 2006.

This exciting, star-studded extravaganza will coincide with the 39th
Annual International Invitational Swim Meet, which will once again
host elite swimmers like Michael Phelps, Natalie Coughlin, Aaron
Peirsol and Brendan Hansen.

Activities Include:
Friday, June 23: SCSC Olympian Introduction Ceremony 4:30 PM.
We will introduce all 46 SCSC Olympians.
Friday, June 23: Hosted Cocktail Reception
Saturday, June 24: Reunion Gala Dinner, featuring Donna de
Varona, Mark Spitz, Don Schollander and many others.
Sunday, June 25: Hosted Alumni Breakfast.

Tickets: $175 per person; Table Sponsorships available. Check out
information online.

Please visit their website for more info!
http://www.santaclaraswimclub.org. We also welcome volunteer
workers! mailto:scscalumni at santaclaraswimclub.org
====
TO REPLY OR COMMENT
To reply or comment about anything in this email, please write to
mailto:update06 at pacificmasters.org
If you hit the reply key on your computer, your email may or may not
be seen in a timely manner. Use only the update06 address please.

If you are wishing to get off the list, hit the reply key, then put
Remove
in the subject line.
=====

HILDA BUEL

Hilda sends her regards to all of you. She turns 92 this month, and
dutifully did the one hour postal swim. She'll see you all at
Stanford this summer, God willing!
==

Have a good week

michael
-------
Guest Article:

LEADING OFF
BY JEANNE ENSIGN
from THE WET SET (PACIFIC NORTHWEST ASSOCIATION)
Welcome to a new year - twelve full months of swimming! I have never
been the sort to make New Year's resolutions, setting goals which are
often too ambitious for me to achieve. My willpower has been known to
desert me early in the morning, in the face of a sumptuous feast, or
disappear completely part way through the year. Instead, I thought it
would be fun to set out twelve swimming related activities to bring
some variety and newness to our swimming day.

1. Help a new swimmer. Invite someone you know to give team-training
a try. Let them know what to expect at a workout and check in to see
how it's going. Make them feel welcome. Invite them back. Or do the
same for a new swimmer who drops in to try out your team.

2. Buy a new swimsuit, cap and goggles - all at once.

3. Swim with people you don't know or don't regularly swim with. Go
to a workout with a different group in your area. I always grumble
when my pool is closed for maintenance, but it is the perfect
opportunity to swim with a different team. Find a group to swim with
while you are traveling. Ask your coach to mix up the lanes for a
workout so you're swimming with different people on your own team.
This works well in a sprint workout which has lots of rest between
50s or 100s.

4. If you swim in the morning, go in the evening or vice versa and
note the difference in how your body feels.

5. Go to a swim meet. If you've never been to a meet, try it out. It
is a lot of fun and an opportunity to meet other swimmers. Check out
the calendar in this issue for area meets. If you are a regular
choose your events and schedule. I use meets as a benchmark for my
fitness and also as a motivator to make it to practice. Who wants to
compete when they're not ready?

6. Go for a swim in the Pacific or in the Bay. Or find another,
warmer, smaller lake. There's no hurry; you can wait until the
weather warms up. I know some of you already took a dip on New Years
Day. Fools rush in . . .

7. Help with a swim meet. Maybe you've never been to a Masters meet;
if not, come help out to see what it's like. If you're there to swim,
find out if you can time or help out otherwise while you're not
swimming. Your home pool may be host to an age group meet - what fun
kids to be around - offer to be a timer.

8. Find out what you can do for Pacific Masters. From time to time,
we ask for a volunteer for a particular one-time project. Come to a
Pacific Masters board meeting. If you would like Pacific Masters to
enhance an area of particular interest to you, let me know. We have
been noting, jokingly, but in earnest that the Pacific Masters board
is getting older. Help reverse the trend. Not by making us younger
(wouldn't that be nice) but with younger participants. We can always
use your help.

9. Set a particular goal for one of your strokes - better your best
stroke or salvage your worst stroke. Set yourself an achievable goal,
be it time or distance.

10. Introduce some dryland training to your routine to enhance your
swimming. Stop in the doorway each time you walk through and stretch
your shoulder, or, maybe, just maybe, introduce something a little
more substantive. Check out information and links at www.usms.org for
a myriad of resources. If you belong to a health club, get a trainer
to help tailor a program for you.

11. Do something other than swimming with your regular swimmates. Go
out to coffee or travel to an out of town meet together.

12. Participate in one of the USMS Postal Swims. T Check out other
fitness swims including the Check Off Challenge (hosted by Federal
Way Masters).

These are for you and me both, so have fun. Help me out during the
year if you think I've missed a few. Do them all at once or spread
them out during the year. Write about it, submit it to The WetSet
editor and make him very happy. We all love reading about your
experiences. Have fun and Happy New Year!

======
DORM ROOMS
The Organizing Committee has secured a limited number of Stanford
Dorm rooms. Please note as Stanford says "Dorm Rooms" are not hotel
rooms and Stanford is not in the hotel business. These rooms are used
for students during the academic year and for conferences during the
summer season

DORM ROOMS
The Dorm rooms include a bed, sheets (not changed daily), bathroom /
toilets (WC) down the hall. The dorm rooms include breakfast and a
sack lunch or a lunch at the dorm. Due to Stanford policies, the food
plan is included with the dorm room package. The dorm rooms are on
the Stanford campus.

TIME
You may only reserve dorm for certain periods of time. The first
period of time is the swimming/water polo time: 3-11 August (eight
days).

The second period of time is the Diving / Synchronized Swimming time
from which is 11-18 August (7 days).

Stanford's policies require that you reserve the dorm for the entire
period of time. There is no credit given if you stay in the room for
less time.

PREPAYMENT
You must prepay the entire amount. If you do not use the rooms, there
is no credit given if you do not use the rooms.

SINGLE OR DOUBLE
You may choose either single or double occupancy. most of the rooms
have two beds in them.

INTERNET ACCESS
Internet access is available for a fee it can be reserved in advance
via the Internet, so it will be ready when you arrive. You may
arrange for Internet access once you arrive by going to the Stanford
Internet Service.

PRICE:
The price per night for a single (including breakfast and a sack
lunch) is $108.05/ night. The price for a double (including breakfast
and a sack lunch) is $185.10 (92.55/person).

RESERVATIONS
You can make your reservation by going to the XI FINA World Masters Web site
http://www.2006finamasters.org
then clicking on hotel reservations

FURTHER QUESTIONS:
If you have further questions, please contact RJ at
mailto:dorms at 2006finamasters.org
--
michael
Michael W. Moore