[PacMasterUpdate] Pacific Masters Update May 7, 2006

pacmasterupdate at PacificMasters.org Mon May 8 02:02:25 EDT 2006

UPCOMING MEETS
On May 13 the San Mateo Master Marlins will host the Parkside Mile in
San Mateo. This is this coming Sunday.
http://www.sanmateomarlins.org/openwater.html

May 20th is the RCM SpringLake one mile open water swim, Santa Rosa.
http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1308183

On June 3rd, Davis Aquatic Masters hosts the 25th Annual Lake Berryessa Swim.
http://www.damfast.org
=====
LONG COURSE PRACTICE
SANTA CLARA
Santa Clara Swim Club is offering 13 long course workouts each week.
During the week we offer organized/coached workouts in the morning
from 6 to 7:30 am (M-F) and in the evenings from 6:15 to 7:30 pm
(M-Th) and from 5:45 to 7:00 pm (Friday). On the weekends we offer
long course coached workouts from 9 to 10:30 am Saturday and Sunday
and 4 to 5:15 pm on Sunday. The drop-in cost is $5 or the monthly is
$40. All swimmers must be registered with USMS before they are
allowed to participate.

Besides these coached workouts, we also have lap lanes availabe
during the times posted above and alos from 5 to 6 am and 7:30 to 8
am (M-F).
John Bitter, coach

STANFORD
.I wanted to give a heads up to all registered PMS swimmers that we
offer long course swimming at nearly all of our workouts (with a few
exceptions in the evenings). Any swimmer from within PMS who would
like to join us for some long course training is welcome to do so
with no commitment by purchasing a 7 Swim Pass for $50.....the pass
never expires and is good at any of our 19 weekly workouts.

On a separate but similar note.....In addition to our regular
Saturday morning workouts, we will be hosting some "Impromptu" long
course racing every Saturday morning in the month of May (13th, 20th,
and 27th). We'll run 20 lanes long course and we'll race in 8 to 10
lanes. We'll race something like four rounds of "your choice" 50m,
100m, and 200m swims. Individuals can pick and choose what they swim.
We will not offer the 800, but can probably accommodate just about
anything else. These WILL NOT be
official swims, but just some practice racing, getting off the
blocks, and quality swimming in the competition venues for the FINA
Championships. ANYONE who is USMS registered is welcome top join us
at no charge on these days. The workouts are from 6:00 to 7:30am.
I ask that guests arrive at
about 5:50am for set-up and warm-up. We'll run as many heats
possible with some warm-up time before and recovery swimming mixed
in-between the rounds. Anyone interested in some fun, LOW KEY, racing
is welcome to join us!
Tim Edmunds, coach
====
XI FINA WORLD MASTERS CHAMPIONSHIPS
The deadline for registration for the FINA Worlds is Saturday, 3
June. If you register now, you can make changes in your times until
then if you register online.
http://www.2006finamasters.org
Swimmers can swim up to five individual events (but only two on a
day), three relays and the open water swim.

SPONSORSHIP FOR THE WORLDS
Become a sponsor of the XI FINA World Masters Championships. For
additional benefits by donating to the non-profit organization
hosting the event, you will receive a sticker at registration to add
to your ID card to receive your benefits. Sponsorship levels include:

PATRON $2500
A patron will receive individual meet entry fees paid, expedited
processing at registration and check in. Preferred seating in the
Avery Aquatic Center, Entrys feel paid for all social events, an
officials logo polo shirt and hat, an official swimbag, a Speedo
Fastkin II suit and a preferred parking pass (priceless).

FRIEND SPONSOR $500
A friend sponsor will receive expedited processing, entry fees paid
for all social events and an official logo t-shirt and hat.

SEAL SPONSOR $100
A seal sponsor will receive expedited processing at registration, a
limited edition XI FINA Masters logo mascot seal and an official logo
t-shirt and hat.

The Organizing Committee hopes that you will consider become a
sponsor at one of the above levels. If you have already registered,
you can go online to add sponsorship to your registration.

ALCATRAZ SWIM FOR WORLDS PARTICIPANTS
South End Rowing Club, the Dolphin Club and the Organizing Committee
will have a swim from Alcatraz to Aquatic Park on Saturday, 12
September. There are a limited number of spots available for
swimmers. When we reach the limit it will have to be closed.

The Saturday morning swim will a great chance to experience the bay
swim. From the old prison a two kilometer swim to Aquatic Park,
swimmers will be able to see both the Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay
Bridge, they can see downtown and Russian Hill. After the swim there
will be food for the hungry swimmer.

Swimmers will get a t-shirt and cap to help memorialize their escape
from the island.

POWER BOAT OWNERS
Attention all boat-owning PMS members! We need your help to make the
FINA August 12 Alcatraz swim a safe and enjoyable event.

If you have a power boat between 15 and 25 feet in length (Rigid
Inflatable, Boston Whaler, etc., sorry no sail boats) and would like
to volunteer to pilot the swim, please contact Swim Director, Gary
Emich, at 650.359.3773 or email him at
<mailto:SFBaySwimmer at sbcglobal.net>SFBaySwimmer at sbcglobal.net.

Primary responsibilities are to form a protective flank around the
swimmers and keep an eye out for non-event boat traffic. Water
conditions in the Bay may be choppy and in the event of an emergency
you may need to pull swimmers from the water - no novice pilots
please - experienced only.

The more pilots the safer the swim. Come on out and enjoy a morning
on the Bay."

2006 SPORTS MEDICINE CONFERENCE
There will be an announcement regarding the 2006 Sports Medicine
Conference that will be held during the XI FINA World Masters
Championships later this week. The announcement will be on the FINA
World Site, the Pacific Masters site and in the forums section of the
USMS web site.

The conference will be free to competitors of the XI FINA World
Masters Championships.
====
LOGO'ED ITEMS OF APPAREL
Teams who are interested in special items of apparel, using the XI
FINA World Masters Championships log should contact
mailto:worldmastersproduct at speedousa.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Pacific Masters affiliate
Lands End

Pacific Masters entered into a new affiliate relationship with Lands'
End Apparel . Lands' End is a maker of fine sports apparel for the
active person.

If you click on the link to Lands' End from the Pacific Masters web
site (like the link above or the link in the navigation bar) Lands'
End will receive a rebate from your purchase

The Pacific Masters Logo'ed shirts that meet officials wear are from Lands End.
====
DAVIS AQUATIC MASTERS STROKE CLINIC FOR FITNESS SWIMMERS
This spring's annual stroke clinics hosted by Davis Aquatic Masters
will be on May 13 (Freestyle), May 14 (Backstroke), June 10 (Fly) and
June 11 (Breast). Clinics are open to all swimmers. DAM coaches Rick
Powers and Ahelee Osborn and staff will run the clinics at the Civic
Pool in Davis, corner of B St. and 5th, from 1-2:30pm. Clinics will
also cover the turn of that stroke. Cost of each clinic for non-DAM
members is $10 pre-paid or $15 on clinic day. Contact Rick at
<rpswimmer at hotmail.com>.

CANCELLED MEETS
The Fresno LCM meet and the Burlingame Splash and Dash have been
taken off the schedule. I hope that they will come back next year.
======
DORM ROOMS -
The FINA Worlds Organizing Committee has secured a limited number of
Stanford Dorm rooms. Please note as Stanford says "Dorm Rooms" are
not hotel rooms and Stanford is not in the hotel business. These
rooms are used for students during the academic year and for
conferences during the summer season. More information is at
http://www.2006FINAMasters.org

There is a time limit if you want to have a dorm room.

====
TO REPLY OR COMMENT
To reply or comment about anything in this email, please write to
mailto:update06 at pacificmasters.org
If you hit the reply key on your computer, your email may or may not
be seen in a timely manner. Use only the update06 address please.

If you are wishing to get off the list, hit the reply key, then put
Remove
in the subject line.
If you do not put Remove in the SUBJECT line, it may take weeks
before your email address is removed from the Email list.
=====
Have a good week

--
michael