[PacMasterUpdate] Pacific Masters Update 6 March 2007

Update on Pacific Masters Swimming sent to members and friends. Wed Mar 7 02:22:55 EST 2007

RINCONADA MASTERS SPRING SHORT COURSE MEET
The Rinconada Mastesr Spring meet will be held at the Rinconada Pool
in Palo Alto on March 17th. The pre-entry deadline is 2 March. For
those who have no prior competitive Masters experience there are
three special events: the 50 yard Free, and the 50 yard Back. For
those who are feeling studly, there is the 1650 yard fly. (you must
finish the event within 45 minutes).

The 1000 yard freestyle is the first event, there is no deck entries
for 1000 free only - you must pre-enter.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/07rincscy.pdf

STRAWBERRY CANYON AQUATIC MASTERS MEET INFORMATION
The SCAM invitational meet will be on SUNDAY 25 March 2007 at the
Spieker Aquatic Complex, UC Berkeley. This is one of the most popular
meets on the Pacific Masters Calendar. The 500 will be preseeded. The
early deadline is 12 March.

http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/07scamscy.pdf

CALL FOR NOMINATIONS DUE SOON
Pacific Masters honors it volunteers who have contributed to the
sport of Masters Swimming. There are four awards for volunteers that
are given out at the Pacific Masters Short Course Yards Championships
to be held at Santa Cruz.

The four awards are
Contributor of the Year (multiple awards)
Personal Achievement Award (only three)
Distinguished Service award
Appreciation Award
The criteria for the awards are at the end of the Update.

http://www.pacificmasters.org/newsltr/07/07janfeb.pdf

Nominations are due to Chairman Michael Moore by March 14th. If you
wish to email them (Please email them by Wednesday, March 14th
evening awards at pacificmasters.org)

TRIATHLETES JOINING MASTERS
Linda Shoenberger who swims for Tamalpias and lives in Reno, wrote
"Triathletes Joining Masters" which is on the USMS website.

http://www.usms.org/articles/articledisplay.php?a=151

USMS SHORT COURSE YARDS CHAMPIONSHIPS
The 2007 USMS Short Course Yards Championships will be held at the
Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center, Federal Way, Washington
17-20 May 2007. Information is now on line at
http://www.usms.org/comp/nationals.php
You can also register on line now. The on-lineregistration deadline
is 12 April 2007.

BREAST CANCER SURVIVORS GROUP
Many of you know Judy Strauss, who swims for Menlo Masters. Last year
she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had a Mastectomy in May and
later reconstructive surgery. Shie is doing very well with no
detectable cancer. She was able to swim at Worlds this summer and is
now trying to get back into shape to swim at Nationals. She would
like to get a group of people together that are swimmers that have
had chest surgery or injuries so that we can share some insights of
what helps. If you would like to get together a group or just talk
about your experiences contact Judy at judystrauss at sbcglobal dot
net

MASTERS SWIMMING IN THE COMICS
Jef Mallet write the comic strip Frazz, the worlds coolest janitor
that features the musician/bicycle racer/Masters swimmer/janitor
Edwin Frazier, aka Frazz. go to
http://www.comics.com/comics/frazz/archive/frazz-20070306.html
Go to the day before and the day after.

PACIFIC MASTERS SHORT COURSE YARDS CHAMPIONSHIPS
The 2007 Pacific Masters Short Course Yards Championships will be
held 20--22 April 2007 at the Dolores Bengston Aquatic Center in
Pleasanton, California. You may enter on line at
http://wcm.mastersswim.com
Or you can enter on line. the postmark deadline is 2 April 2007.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/07wcmtriscy.pdf

The Dolores Bengstron pool is very fast pool. Ribbons will be
presented to first through eighth place.

New England Masters has 829 swimmers register for the New England
Championships. It would be fun to have at least 830 swimmers compete
at the Pac Masters Championships.

PACIFIC MASTERS WORK DAY
Pacific Masters Work Day can be held at Heather Farms, this Saturday,
March 10th, from 10am to 2pm. We will meet in the classroom by the
pool and lunch will be provided.

The purpose of this special meeting is to catch up on the planning
and administrative we had to put aside while preparing for the World
Championships. We will be looking ahead to how Pacific Masters can
better serve its members - both clubs and individuals. We will also
be updating our Swim Guides, policies, rules, and discussing our
financial situation.

We hope we will join us but if you can't, please send Nancy Ridout
any suggestions or concerns that you may have. Please let her know,
as well, if you will be able to attend. All are invited:
mailto:registrar at pacificmasters.org

BY THE NUMBERS
Pacific Masters is now just over 5700 swimmers for the year. If you
have not re-registered, now is the time. Be sure that you continue to
get your copy of USMS Swimmer Magazine.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/admin/application.shtml

TO REPLY OR COMMENT Or Remove
To reply or comment about anything in this email, please write to
mailto:update06 at pacificmasters.org

If you hit the reply key on your computer, your email may or may not
be seen in a timely manner. Use only the update06 address please.

If you are wishing to get off the list, mail to
mailto:pacmasterupdate at six.pairlist.net, then put
Remove
in the subject line.
If you do not put Remove in the SUBJECT line, it may take weeks
before your email address is removed from the Email list.

====
Have a good week

--
michael