[PacMasterUpdate] Pacific Masters Update 3 June 2007

Update on Pacific Masters Swimming sent to members and friends. Mon Jun 4 01:56:20 EDT 2007

TRIVALLEY LAKE DEL VALLE
The TriValley Lake Del Valle swim is 9 June. There are two events,
the .75 mile and the 1.5 Mile course. Lake Del Valle is a treasure
behind Livermore .
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/07tvmow.pdf

BURLINGAME SPLASH AND DASH
The Burlingame Splash and Dash is Sunday 10 June. The Splash and Dash
has added 200's to its schedule this year. One can swim all the
strokes in thier 50's and 200s.

http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/07bmwlcm.pdf

CHANGE IN PACMASTERS SCHEDULE
There have been changes in the Pacific Masters Calendar. The Short
Course Meters Championships have been moved to the 20-22 of October.
Please check the schedule for the schedule of meets during the year.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/schd.html

DAM STROKE CLINIC
Davis Aquatic Masters spring stroke clinics for novice swimmers: Sat.
May 12 Freestyle; Sunday May 13 Backstroke; Sunday June 3 Butterfly;
Sat. June 9 Breaststroke. All clinics held at Civic pool, corner of
5th and B St. in Davis from 1-2:30 pm. Cost is $10 per clinic for
non-DAM members. Contact Coach Rick Powers at
<mailto:rpswimmer at hotmail.com>rpswimmer at hotmail.com

TEAMS THAT HAVE DONE WELL - Walnut Creek Masters - The Olympic Club
In putting together some information for the USMS Championships
Committee, I was looking at the combined team scores from the USMS
SCY National Championships. Both The Walnut Creek Masters and the
Olympic Club have kept their teams in the top ten for most of the
five years. This is quite an accomplishment as the championships have
been held in Tucson, Arizona, Indianapolis, Indiana, Fort Lauderdale,
Florida, Coral Springs, Florida and Federal Way, Washington.
Congratulations to both Kerry O'Brien and Scott Williams for being
able to not only coach well, but to inspire their teams to make the
trek to the distant venues.

WHERE ARE THE CLUBS?
I have been working on way to show where the Pacific Masters clubs
are located. I have used maps.google.com and Google earth to show
were the clubs are located. This is a work in progress and not
everything is on the map. Many clubs are not on the map, because the
address that we have for your club is the coaches home address. I did
not want to put that address on the map. There are some clubs that
might not want to be on the map, for different reasons. I would
appreciate it if members of a club would check out the map to be sure
that the pool is in the right place and if you have a website to be
sure that I wrote the URL correctly.

Go to
If you have dialup or slow broadband
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=http%3A%2F%2Fpacificmasters.org%2Fgeneral%2FPacMasters.kml&ie=UTF8&z=8&om=1>Dialup
- map only

If you have fast broadband:
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=http%3A%2F%2Fpacificmasters.org%2Fgeneral%2FPacMasters.kml&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=38.419166,-121.481323&spn=3.029755,2.905884&t=h&z=8>
Broadband maps - picture

If that does not work try:
Go to
http://maps.google.com

be sure that "Search the map is highlighted.

In the box between Google Maps and Search maps write:
http://pacificmasters.org/general/PacMasters.kml
you can cut and paste.

If anyone would like to contribute an icon that is better than the
pins, please send it to me. If your club is not listed and it should
be, send me the information. If someone want to have an icon for open
water swims or for pool swims, create it and we can set that up.
Send the information to:
chairman at pacificmasters dot org.

GRANTS AVAILABLE TO CLUBS FROM USMS ENDOWMENT FUND
Your club can apply for grant money for anything that advances
Masters swimming. Examples may include:
· Swim clinic for prospective Masters swimmers
· Transportation from a local retirement home or college
campus to your pool for a one-day trial membership swim
· Team brochures or posters to distribute at triathlons, ball
fields, rec centers, etc.
· Formation costs for a new Masters team
· Relocation costs to maintain Masters practices at an
alternate facility during construction or renovation
Pacific Masters can't guarantee that your application will be
approved. Read the program requirements at
<http://www.usms.org/admin/lmschb/lmsc_hb_endowment.pdf>http://www.usms.org/admin/lmschb/lmsc_hb_endowment.pdf
or call Doug Church at (317) 773-2190. Applications must arrive by
mail on or before June 1 at the USMS Endowment Fund for payment this
year. Take advantage of this opportunity to market your club.

BREAK-A-LEG" AQUA-THON FOR COACH JOEL WILSON
Joel Wilson, coach of the Santa Cruz Masters recently broke his hip
(Not by swimming I hope) On Saturday June 9th, 2007 the Santa Cruz
Masters Swimmers, in conjunction with the UCSC Swim team, will be
holding a Break-A-Leg Aqua-Thon to help raise money for his medical
expenses. For all those who don't already know him, Coach Joel is a
founding member of Santa Cruz Masters and has been coaching the team
since 1988. He has served as Meet Director for PMS Long and Short
Course Championships since the early-1990's.

All those wishing to participate in the Break-A-Leg-Athon should
download the Sponsor Form Sheet
http://www.cruzswim.org/the%20aquathon%20(2).pdf

Participants:

* Will have two hours on June 9th to swim up to 200 lengths;
* Should get as many pledges, for each length, as possible;
* May collect donations, instead of pledges, if they do not wish to
swim lengths

Checks should be made payable to the Santa Cruz Masters Swim Team.
All checks and cash donations should be sent
Kim Musch, Aquatics Director
East Fieldhouse
University of California Santa Cruz
1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, California, 95064.

They would appreciate the return of all donations by Monday, June 25th.

http://www.cruzswim.org/the%20aquathon%20(2).pdf

IF YOU HAVE MOVED
If you have moved and want to still receive your copy of Swimmer
Magazine, please go to the Pacific Masters On-Line Change of Address
page. Fill it out and your address will be changed and you will
continue to receive USMS Swimmer Magazine.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/admin/members/memberupdate.shtml

FINA WORLDS -2008
The XII FINA World Masters Championships will be held in Perth,
Western Australia, Australia 15-25 April 2008. All of the aquatic
disciplines will be run concurrently, so that one can see all the
events there.

For those who would like to receive their newsletter, go to
http://2008finamasters.org/subscription.php
to subscribe.

The Quaifying times have been posted:
http://www.wasct.wa.gov.au/files/grabdoc.php?type=doc&id=386&cid=1

In looking at the Q times, it looks like I can qualify - well only if
I work hard and practice.

SYRACUSE TO CUT MEN'S AND WOMEN'S SWIMMING
Syracuse University is being cut from the program. One of your
master's swimmers, Leslie Livingston, told me to contact your
organization to ask for help in our cause. Our petition can be found
here:
HTTP://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/850963259

and the articles further explaining the situation can be found here:
http://www.collegeswimming.com/news/2007/may/30/syracuse-block/
http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/14836.asp
http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/14840.asp

SANTA CLARA SWIM CLUB 2007 INTERNATIONAL INVITATIONAL
The 40th Santa Clara International Swim meet will be 28 June through
1 July. Some of the worlds great swimmers will be competing. You can
get your tickets at:
http://www.santaclaraswimclub.org/Meets/2007International/Main.htm

NYTIMES ARTICLE ON SWIMMING
Jim Thornton write about his recent trip to The Race Club's training
facility and how it has helped his freestyle.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/03/sports/playmagazine/0603play-master.html

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
USMS is soliciting bids for the 2009 Short Course Yards
Championships, the 2009 :Long Course Meters Championships, the 2008
Open Water Championships. In 2008, Pacific is eligible to bid on
the greater than 3 mile and less than six mile open water swim.

If you are interested in organizing the National Championships,
please contact Barry Fasbender at
<mailto:operations at pacificmasters.org>operations at pacificmasters.org.
Barry was the USMS Championships Committee chairman. He can answer
your questions and walk you through the process.

USMS NOMINATIONS, SUBMITTALS AND BIDS
The USMS Fitness Committee is accepting nominations for the 2007 USMS
Fitness Award Award. The award is given to the individual or
organization demonstrating outstanding contribution to fitness
programs within UMMS.

They are also accepting bids for the three USMS Postal Fitness
events (Checkoff Challenge, 30 minutes Swim and Virtual Swim series.
Contact fitness at usms dot org. Deadline 1 July.

The June Krauser Communications Award
The Communications Committee is accepting nominations for th 2007
June Krauser USMS Communications Award. The award honors outstanding
contribution the commun9ication within USMS. To submit a nomination
write a one page letter detailing why the candidate deserves the
award. Send to Hugh Moore 2102 mailto:swimmoore at comcast.net.
Deadline July 1.

The USMS RULE BOOK COVER CONTEST
USMS is accepting submission for the 2008 Rule Book Cover. For
information contact mailto:susanehr at usms.org

PRINTING BIDS
USMS is soliciting bids to print the 2008 Rule Book. For specs
interested bidders should contact Susan Ehringer at
mailto:susanehr at usms.org.

-----

TO REPLY OR COMMENT Or Remove
To reply or comment about anything in this email, please write to
mailto:update06 at pacificmasters.org

If you hit the reply key on your computer, your email may or may not
be seen in a timely manner. Use only the update06 address please.

If you are wishing to get off the list, mail to
mailto:pacmasterupdate at six.pairlist.net, then put
Remove
in the subject line.
If you do not put Remove in the SUBJECT line, it may take weeks
before your email address is removed from the Email list.

====
Have a good week
michael
--