[PacMasterUpdate] Pacific Masters Update 10 June 2007

Update on Pacific Masters Swimming sent to members and friends. Mon Jun 11 00:50:05 EDT 2007

RESULTS
BURLINGAME SPLASH AND DASH
SPRING LAKE
LAKE BERRYESSA
The results for the Burlingame Splash and Dash, the Spring Lake One
Mile Swim and the Lake Berryessa one and two Mile swims have been
posted.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/results.shtml
Thanks to everyone who worked hard to make these events a success. We
could not offer as many swimming events in Pacific Masters without
the dedicated volunteers who work hard so that Pacific Masters
Swimmers have the greatest number of pool and open water events in
the U.S. to compete in.

PACIFIC MASTERS LONG COURSE CHAMPIONSHIPS
The Pacific Masters Swimming 2007 Long Course Meters Championships
will be hosted by Santa Cruz Masters on the University of California
Santa Cruz Campus. This is a pre entered meet. Posted entries must be
postmarked by 23 June. You can enter on line by 27 June 2007.

CHANGE IN PACMASTERS SCHEDULE
The June Pacific Masters Swimming Monthly meeting will be Wednesday
27 June 2007.

ROBERT PROEBSTRING 1937-2007
Bob Proebsting, a many-time US Masters All-American and World
Champion passed away Monday, June 4 due to a massive heart attack,
resulting from complications from his long battle with Parkinson's
disease and his weakened condition due to his cancer treatment 12
years ago. He was 69 years old. Dick Thomas wrote a article about Bob.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/general/rproebstring.html

Chabot Pool Reopening
Honoring Ross Shoemaker
Chabot College Pool will reopen Thursday June 14th 5pm with a short
ceremony to honor Ross Shoemaker. Ross Shoemaker was swimming there
until he passed away a few weeks ago.

COACH THOMAS HUGGINS MOVING TO INDIANAPOLIS
Coach Thomas Huggins of the San Mateo Marlins is moving to
Indianapolis with his wife Jenny. Thomas has been the coach of the
Marlins for the past eight years. He has also served as a delegate to
USMS National convention from Pacific. Everyone wishes Thomas and
Jenny, the best of luck and success in their new local.

PACIFIC MASTERS YTD RESULTS
There are currently 8,222 members of Pacific Masters Swimming as well
as 112 clubs. Pacific Masters is the largest local masters swimming
committee in the United States with about 23% of the total national
membership. There are 18,500 people on the Update email list. The Pac
Masters largest clubs are:
Dam 569
Tcam 404
WCM 402
Stan 357
USF 291
Melo 262
Mam 231
MVM 222
Cruz 199
SCSC 194

56% of the swimmers belong to the top twenty clubs (in membership).
1.3% of Pacific Masters membership does NOT live in PacMasters
geographical territory (I dont know why I threw in that tidbit, but
there are people who think that some clubs recruit from all over the
US- there may be clubs that do that, but not in Pacific).

WHERE ARE THE CLUBS?
I have been working on way to show where the Pacific Masters clubs
are located. I have used maps.google.com and Google earth to show
were the clubs are located. This is a work in progress and not
everything is on the map. Many clubs are not on the map, because the
address that we have for your club is the coaches home address. I did
not want to put that address on the map. There are some clubs that
might not want to be on the map, for different reasons. I would
appreciate it if members of a club would check out the map to be sure
that the pool is in the right place and if you have a website to be
sure that I wrote the URL correctly.

Go to
If you have dialup or slow broadband
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=http%3A%2F%2Fpacificmasters.org%2Fgeneral%2FPacMasters.kml&ie=UTF8&z=8&om=1>Dialup
- map only

If you have fast broadband:
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=http%3A%2F%2Fpacificmasters.org%2Fgeneral%2FPacMasters.kml&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=38.419166,-121.481323&spn=3.029755,2.905884&t=h&z=8>
Broadband maps - picture

If that does not work try:
Go to
http://maps.google.com

be sure that "Search the map is highlighted.

In the box between Google Maps and Search maps write:
http://pacificmasters.org/general/PacMasters.kml
you can cut and paste.

If anyone would like to contribute an icon that is better than the
pins, please send it to me. If your club is not listed and it should
be, send me the information. If someone want to have an icon for open
water swims or for pool swims, create it and we can set that up.
Send the information to:
chairman at pacificmasters dot org.

LINKS TO CLUB'S HOME PAGE
The PacMasters home page now has a link to the PacMasters clubs, well
at least many of the clubs. If you club has a home page and does not
have a link to your home page, please let me know
mailto:chairman at pacificmasters.org (There are a couple of clubs that
have given me links that do not work).

GRANTS AVAILABLE TO CLUBS FROM USMS ENDOWMENT FUND
Your club can apply for grant money for anything that advances
Masters swimming. Examples may include:
· Swim clinic for prospective Masters swimmers
· Transportation from a local retirement home or college
campus to your pool for a one-day trial membership swim
· Team brochures or posters to distribute at triathlons, ball
fields, rec centers, etc.
· Formation costs for a new Masters team
· Relocation costs to maintain Masters practices at an
alternate facility during construction or renovation
Pacific Masters can't guarantee that your application will be
approved. Read the program requirements at
<http://www.usms.org/admin/lmschb/lmsc_hb_endowment.pdf>http://www.usms.org/admin/lmschb/lmsc_hb_endowment.pdf
or call Doug Church at (317) 773-2190. Applications must arrive by
mail on or before June 1 at the USMS Endowment Fund for payment this
year. Take advantage of this opportunity to market your club.

IF YOU HAVE MOVED
If you have moved and want to still receive your copy of Swimmer
Magazine, please go to the Pacific Masters On-Line Change of Address
page. Fill it out and your address will be changed and you will
continue to receive USMS Swimmer Magazine.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/admin/members/memberupdate.shtml

SANTA CLARA SWIM CLUB 2007 INTERNATIONAL INVITATIONAL
The 40th Santa Clara International Swim meet will be 28 June through
1 July. Some of the worlds great swimmers will be competing. You can
get your tickets at:
http://www.santaclaraswimclub.org/Meets/2007International/Main.htm

NYTIMES ARTICLE ON SWIMMING
Jim Thornton write about his recent trip to The Race Club's training
facility and how it has helped his freestyle.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/03/sports/playmagazine/0603play-master.html

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
USMS is soliciting bids for the 2009 Short Course Yards
Championships, the 2009 :Long Course Meters Championships, the 2008
Open Water Championships. In 2008, Pacific is eligible to bid on
the greater than 3 mile and less than six mile open water swim.

If you are interested in organizing the National Championships,
please contact Barry Fasbender at
<mailto:operations at pacificmasters.org>operations at pacificmasters.org.
Barry was the USMS Championships Committee chairman. He can answer
your questions and walk you through the process.

USMS NOMINATIONS, SUBMITTALS AND BIDS
The USMS Fitness Committee is accepting nominations for the 2007 USMS
Fitness Award Award. The award is given to the individual or
organization demonstrating outstanding contribution to fitness
programs within UMMS.

They are also accepting bids for the three USMS Postal Fitness
events (Checkoff Challenge, 30 minutes Swim and Virtual Swim series.
Contact fitness at usms dot org. Deadline 1 July.

The USMS RULE BOOK COVER CONTEST
USMS is accepting submission for the 2008 Rule Book Cover. For
information contact mailto:susanehr at usms.org

PRINTING BIDS
USMS is soliciting bids to print the 2008 Rule Book. For specs
interested bidders should contact Susan Ehringer at
mailto:susanehr at usms.org.

-----

TO REPLY OR COMMENT Or Remove
To reply or comment about anything in this email, please write to
mailto:update06 at pacificmasters.org

If you hit the reply key on your computer, your email may or may not
be seen in a timely manner. Use only the update06 address please.

If you are wishing to get off the list, mail to
mailto:pacmasterupdate at six.pairlist.net, then put
Remove
in the subject line.
If you do not put Remove in the SUBJECT line, it may take weeks
before your email address is removed from the Email list.

====
Have a good week
michael
--