[PacMasterUpdate] The Update 5 October 2008

Update on Pacific Masters Swimming sent to members and friends. Sun Oct 5 22:57:06 EDT 2008

PACIFIC MASTERS MISSION STATEMENT:
As adopted by the Pacific Masters Committee the Mission of Pacific Masters is:

Pacific Masters Swimming welcomes anyone who would like to gain and
maintain fitness through swimming and encourages programs to foster
this mission.

CLOVIS SHORT COURSE YARDS MEET.
The first Clovis Short Course Yards meet will be held at the Clovis
North Aquatic Center (the site of the 2009 USMS Short Course Yards
Championships). The meet will be held 8 November and is organized by
The Clovis Swim Club and the Fig Garden Masters. The meet will start
at 1 PM, which will give swimmers from the Bay Area time to leave
early in the morning and make it in time to compete.

PACIFIC MASTERS SHORT COURSE METERS CHAMPIONSHIPS
The 2008 Pacific Masters Short Course Meters Championships will be
held at the Clark Swim Center, Heather Farms, Walnut Creek this up
coming weekend. While it is too late to enter, come out and cheer
your fellow swimmers.

For those teams that have not sent a swim cap to the national office,
be sure to bring an extra one as Rob Bucher, the new executive
director for USMS will be there on Saturday. He is putting swim caps
from all over the United States on one of the walls in the USMS
Charlotte office.

CLUB REGISTRATION 2008
THIS IS CLUB REGISTRATION ONLY
It's that time again. The PMS 2009 Club Renewal Form hs been sent to
club registrars. (if you have not recieved a copy contact Nancy
Ridout). Any club that returns the completed form and fee so that's
it's received in the Pac Masters office by October 31st will receive
$10 off the fee. If you mail them by October 25th, you should be
safe to make out your check for $55, rather than $65.

This is why we are encouraging you to renew your club early. On
November 1st, both online and paper registrations for 2009 will be
open. If a swimmer tries to register online and his or her club has
not renewed, he or she will be automatically registered as
Unattached. This will be frustrating for the swimmer and
embarrassing for the club. In the past, Nancy could just hold the
forms and checks until the club renewed. This year, with the
popularity of online registration, the options are either the club is
on the pull-down list or Unattached.
DO NOT SEND INDIVIDUAL 2009 REGISTRATIONS UNTIL 1 NOVEMBER

NORT THORNTON CELEBRATION AT UCB
Information from Steve Clark:
Please Come Celebrate Nort Thornton and His Remarkable and Ongoing
Years in Coaching

Friday, October 17, 2008
6pm to 9pm
Haas Club Room, Haas Pavilion
The University of California, Berkeley
Heavy Hors d'Oeuvres will be Served, Drinks will be
Available,Speeches will be Made, Flip-flops and Hawaiian Shirts are
Encouraged!

$25 Per Person, Cash Bar Available RSVP Information

Individual invitations have been mailed. If you've not received an
invitation, it's possible that we do not have your current mailing
address. Please contact the Cal Aquatics Development Office to RSVP
for this evening of celebration.

You may also mail your RSVP with the following information:
* Names of those attending ($25/person)
* Check payable to UC Regents, with "Nort Thornton"
written in memo line
If you leave a voicemail with or send an email to the Aquatics
Development Office, please be sure to include the names of those who
will attend, along with a phone number so that we may confirm payment
by credit card.

University of California
Cal Aquatics Development Office
195 Haas Pavilion
Berkeley, CA 94720
(510) 643-2746

TICKETS AVAILABLE FOR NATALIE COUGHLIN TV PERFORMANCE
TUESDAY 7 OCTOBER 2008
Natalie Coughlin is a Bay Area native, and participated in the 2004
and 2008 Summer Olympics. She has set several world records in
swimming and was the first woman to go under 59 seconds in the long
course 100 meter backstroke. Natalie holds world records in the short
course 100 meter individual medley and backstroke, and holds numerous
United States records in swimming in both long course and short
course pools.

To reserve tickets please call (415)-954-7733 or go to our website
www.viewfromthebay.com

Audience doors open at 2:15pm, with a cut-off time at 2:30pm. Guests
will join the audience for a live broadcast and taping of the show
from 3-4pm.

USMS SHORT COURSE NATIONALS -CLOVIS CALIFORNIA
Hotel Reservations are open for the USMS Short Course Nationals that
will be held in Clovis Califoria in May. You are encouraged the use
of the direct link for reservations at all preferred hotels:

http://www.fresnocvb-housing.org/events.php?id=39

TIBERON MILE
900 swimmers competed in the one mile swimm across Racoon Straights.
The race will be show on Thanksgiving day on Fox - In the San
Francisco Bay area, that is Channel 2.

SWIM ACROSS AMERICA
For the last few years Swim Across America has had a San Francisco
Bay swim to raise money for breakthrough cancer programs at UCSF
Children's Hospital and Children's Hospital Oakland. Swim Across
America's motto is "Making Waves to Fight Cancer". This year the Bay
Swim will be on October 18th and you can find information on the swim
at
http://www.swimacrossamerica.org/NETCOMMUNITY/Page.aspx?pid=317&srcid=211.
We have changed the swim to accommodate more people.

In addition to the Bay swim we have a new pool event which runs for
the entire month of September. We are asking that masters teams swim
a total of 3000 miles, the distance from coast to coast. Each
individual participant is asked to raise a minimum of $50. (There are
incentives for individuals and teams that raise more than that.) This
is the first time that we are having this event and the SF Bay Area
is the first to try it. Please consider it for your team. Here is the
link: http://www.swimacrossamerica.org/NETCOMMUNITY/Page.aspx

Masters coach needed Berkeley, CA
The Strawberry Canyon Aquatic Masters needs a coach.We swim in two
different pools on the UC Berkeley campus. This is a full-time
position and the coach is a UC employee with benefits.
You can read about the team at:
http://www.recsports.berkeley.edu/in...d-944676befe3a

Please go to the University job listing site at:
http://jobs.berkeley.edu/
Click "Search and Apply for jobs now" at the top of the page. Then
click "view job posting/apply for job" and enter "Aquatics" as the
keyword to see the official job listing. (you don't have to create an
account name or password to do this)

The Olympic Club is seeking a Full Time Aquatics Director!
COMPANY INFORMATION:
The Olympic Club is the oldest private member athletic club in the
nation with over 5000 active members. The Olympic Club's City Club,
located in San Francisco, offers its members state of the art
athletic facilities including two pools, two gymnasiums, athletic and
cardio equipment. The Olympic Club currently has over 100 Masters
swimmers.For additional information about The Olympic Club please
view our website at www.olyclub.com.

RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities include but are not limited to: Overseeing and
Supervising the Aquatics Department and staff. Working with the
Commissioners of Rough Water, Masters Swimming, and Water Polo in
implementing budgets, administrative duties, travel, scheduling, etc.
Regularly inspecting and maintaining pool areas and water
conditioning. Coaching at least 50% of the Masters workouts. Coaching
Jr. workouts as needed. Maintaining up-to-date member communications.
Planning and running Trans Tahoe event. Attendance at specific
aquatics events as required. Completing additional assigned duties
and responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS:
Bachelor's Degree or the foreign equivalency in Physical Education or
a related field. Minimum 5 years experience in aquatics management
and 5 years experience in coaching Masters Swimmers. Must have Red
Cross Lifeguard certification, ASCA Coaches certification.
Intermediate knowledge of Word and Excel. Fluent oral and written
English communication skills required. Proficient business writing
skills required.
BENEFITS:
Health, Dental, Life/AD&D/ltd, 401K, Sick, Vacation, Holidays and Meals.

HOW TO APPLY:
1. **PLEASE SUBMIT SALARY REQUIREMENTS
2. Email Resume to jobs at olyclub.com or fax to 415-345-5158
3. Please state "Aquatics Director" in subject line.
The Olympic Club at Lakeside is located at 524 Post Street, San Francisco.

ONLINE REGISTRATION
If you have not registered for Pacific Masters, you can register on
line. It is quick and easy and you can do it in the privacy of your
home. To compete you must be a current member of United States
Masters Swimming, if you go to a meet to register and compete, you
will just stand in line longer. By registering now you will get the
USMS Swimmer and all the benefits of being a member, besides
belonging to a group that has great people.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/admin/onlineRegistration.shtml

PACIFIC MASTERS 2008 SCHEDULE
The 2008 Pacific Masters Schedule has been posted on the web site.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/schd.html
Currently 35 events are planned for the next year. Included in the
schedule are short course yards, long course meters, short course
meters and open water.

TO REPLY OR COMMENT Or Remove
To reply or comment about anything in this email, please write to
mailto:update06 at pacificmasters.org
DO NOT use the above address to remove your address

If you hit the reply key on your computer, your email may or may not
be seen in a timely manner. Use only the update06 address please.

If you are wishing to get off the list, mail to
mailto:pacmasterupdate at six.pairlist.net, then put
Remove
in the subject line.

michael

OFF THE WALL
Well it looks like Tom Brady and I have something in common (besides
having last names that have five letters). I separated my right
shoulder yesterday while playing tennis with my daughter- we were
playing a rough game. This, of course, means that I cannot do the
1500 at the upcoming short course meters championships which brings
both good news and bad news. The bad news is that I can not swim the
1500. The good news is I cant swim the 1500.

I was reading a book about staying young, it said that one should try
to do more things with your non dominant hand. Well I am in that
learning phase. Eating is much different now that the hand moving to
my mouth is the left hand rather than right. This may be a good
thing, as I am definately eating slower. Putting on socks and shoes
is a challenge. I am used to putting socks on with two hands, it is
so strange to use only one hand and tying shoelaces with limited
access of my right hand means I have to think about what I am doing-
it is a brain teaser.

All in all, I was fortunate. I could have injured myself more more
severely that what I did (I once cracked a bone playing tennis, but
that is another story). While I will be in a sling for a few weeks, I
know that the challenges that I face for the next few weeks are only
minor setbacks and a not permanent problem.

Have a good week - see you at the championships. (I will be the
official with arm in a sling).

michael

--
michael w. moore