[PacMasterUpdate] The Update 1 January 2009

Update on Pacific Masters Swimming sent to members and friends. Fri Jan 2 10:36:18 EST 2009

PACIFIC MASTERS MISSION STATEMENT:
As adopted by the Pacific Masters Committee the Mission of Pacific Masters is:

Pacific Masters Swimming welcomes anyone who would like to gain and
maintain fitness through swimming and encourages programs to foster
this mission.

--------

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2009
To all of you, may you have a very happy and prosperous and healthy 2009

NORCAL COACHS CLINIC
The NorCal Swim Shop Swim clinic will be .held 8 January through 11
January in Napa, California. Pacific Masters has helped coaches
attend by paying up to 50% of the registration fee. Information about
the clinic can be found at
http://www.swimshop.com/norcal/assets/images/PCC/CLINIC%20REG%20ONLINE%2009.pdf
If you are interested in attending and would like Pacific Masters to
help with the registration fee, please contact Chris Campbell at
mailto:coachchris at mvm.org .

RECEIVING MORE THAN ONE COPY OF THE UPDATE?
The Update list is over 17,000 recipients and we would like to cut
down on the list. If you are receiving more than one copy of the
update, please let us know which is the second address, so that we
can cut that address from the list. Please email
mailto:double at pacificmasters.org
and we will take off the second address from the list.

CLOVIS VIDEO
The USMS Executive Director's Office prepared a video about the 2008
United States Short Course Yards Championships

http://www.pacificmasters.org/general/clovisvideo.html

BREASTSTROKE INTERPRETATION
From USA Swimming

"...we have been informed that FINA's interpretation is now different
from our previous understanding of what constitutes the beginning of
the first arm pull. In order for our interpretation to conform to
that used by FINA, the following interpretation is being made,
effective immediately.

For purposes of Article 101.2.3, as it relates to what constitutes
the initiation of the first arm pull and the allowed single downward
butterfly kick, the following applies:

After the start and after each turn, any lateral or downward movement
of the hands or arms is considered to be the initiation of the first
arm pull. "

FINA PROPOSES UNIFORM SWIM SUIT RULE
From USA today:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2008-12-23-fina-swimsuit-proposal_N.htm

2009 MEMBERSHIP
As of yesterday there were 3614 people who have registered to be
members of Pacific Masters Swimming.
NUMBER OF PEOPLE REGISTERED BY CLUB (largest clubs)
DAM Count 289
TCAM Count 264
WCM Count 198
MAM Count 162
CRUZ Count 134
USF Count 122
TEME Count 114
STAN Count 111
BAC Count 103
MVM Count 98
MELO Count 95
RAMS Count 95
MAAC Count 92
SCSC Count 92

Thank you to the 96 Clubs that have registered

Alameda Aquatic Masters
Arden Hills Masters Swimming
Almaden Swim & Racquet Club
Aquasol Masters
Burlingame Aquatic Club
Berkeley (CA) Aquatic Masters
Bay Masters
Golden Bear Swimming
Brentwood Masters Swim Club
Bear River Swimming
Club Assistant Swim Team
Chico Masters Swimming
Clovis Swim Club Masters
Cal Maritime Academy Masters
Cosumnes River Aquatics
Santa Cruz Masters Aquatics
Club Sport of San Ramon
Oakland Barracuda Masters
Central Valley Aquatics
Central Valley All Stars
Carson Valley Masters
Davis Athletic Club
Davis Aquatic Masters
Dolphin Club
El Cerrito Aquatic Masters
El Camino YMCA Masters
El Dorado Hills Masters
El Dorado Hills Masters
El Dorado Hills Sports Club
Ellis Electric Eels
Fremont Glenmoor Masters
Fountaingrove Master Swimming
Fog City Masters
H2Oldies
Hercules Masters Swim Club
Club Hot Tub
Hanford YMCA Masters
JCCSF Masters Swimming
Los Altos Masters
Los Altos Mountain View Masters
Livermore Area Rec & Park Dist
Los Gatos Swim And Racquet Club
Loch Ness Masters
Lodi Masters
Ladera Oaks Masters
Livermore Valley Tennis Club
Modesto Area Aquatic Club
Manatee Aquatic Masters Inc
Menlo Masters Aka Team Sheeper
Masters Penguin Swim Club
Miracle Swimming Institute
Millennium Makos
Mount Tam Racquet Club
Mountain View Masters
Napa Valley Masters
Oakwood Athletic Club Masters
Orinda Aquatic Masters
Peninsula Covenant Aquatic Masters
Parkpoint Patriots
Presentation Masters
Petaluma Valley Masters
Rocklin Aquatics Masters
Redwood Coast Masters
Rolling Hills Mud Sharks
Rinconada Masters
Sacramento Masters
Santa Clara Swim Club Masters
Santa Clara University Swimming
South End Rowing Club
San Francisco Rec & Parks Masters
St Helena Masters Swimming
San Mateo Master Marlins
Sierra Marlins Swim Team Masters
Sierra Nevada Masters
South Palo Alto Masters
San Rafael Aquatics Teams
Santa Rosa Masters
Stanford Masters Swimming
Salinas Valley Aquatics Masters
Tamalpais Aquatic Masters
Tuolumne County Aquatic Masters
Temescal Aquatic Masters
The Olympic Club
San Francisco Tsunami Masters
Tri Valley Masters
University of San Francisco Masters
Vacaville Swim Club
Valley Splash Aquatic Masters
Valley Springs Masters Swimming
Walnut Creek Masters
West Coast Aquatic Masters
Wine Country Masters
Winters Aquatic Club
Woodland Swim Team Masters
Peninsula YMCA Barracudas
Yuba City Masters Swimming

INDIVIDUAL RENEWAL
You can now renew your membership for 2009. You can register on line,
it is very easy, just go to:
https://www.ClubAssistant.com/club/USMS.cfm?l=38
and start filling out the forms. If you are a member of the clubs
listed below you can register with your club.

If your club is not one of the clubs listed above, you will have to
register as "unattached." And then when your club registers you can
change membership.

For those who do no want to register on-line, Pacific Masters still
has a paper registration form to send to Nancy.

http://www.pacificmasters.org/admin/09memberapp.pdf

BREASTSTROKE CLINIC AND BUTTERFLY CLINIC
Susie Powell and Cokie Lepinski of the Rolling Hills Mudsharks are
conducting a Breaststroke Stroke Clinic on Saturday, January 10th
from 12-3pm at the Meridian Rolling Hills Club in Novato. We'd love
to have you come! If you are interested, contact Cokie
(swimnut at mac.com, 415-827-5672) or Susie (swimsp at comcast.net,
415-672-2233). There is only room for 12, and we think this one might
fill up, so if you are coming, you'll need to reserve a space
soon. For this clinic, fins and a swim snorkel are recommended.

If you come, you'll try out some amazing drills that will improve
your kick, your pull, and your timing between your kick and pull. Our
clinics are for swimmers of all levels. If you are a strong
breaststroker, come! We can almost guarantee that you will be
re-energized and inspired by this clinic. At the very least, you will
have many new tools in your toolbox to improve your breaststroke. If
you are someone who struggles with breaststroke, we're confident we
can get you to learn the proper technique that helps to significantly
reduce or eliminate the struggles you experience. If you are a
mediocre breaststroke, we have lots of tips and tricks to get you to
that next level.

And heads up, our Butterfly Stroke Clinic is scheduled for Saturday,
February 21st from 12-3pm and will also be held at the Meridian
Rolling Hills Club in Novato.

USMS LOOKING FORWARD TO A NEW YEAR
U.S. Masters Swimming has had an exciting year full of big projects,
fast swimming, the development of new goals, the moving forward of
our vision, and changes in staff and structure. To read the complete
article go to http://www.usms.org/features.php?id=100

TO REPLY OR COMMENT Or Remove
To reply or comment about anything in this email, please write to
mailto:update06 at pacificmasters.org
DO NOT use the above address to remove your address

If you hit the reply key on your computer, your email may or may not
be seen in a timely manner. Use only the update06 address please.

If you are wishing to get off the list, mail to
mailto:pacmasterupdate at six.pairlist.net, then put
Remove
in the subject line.

michael