[PacMasterUpdate] 29 November 2009 - Happy Thanksgiving

Update on Pacific Masters Swimming sent to members and friends. Sun Nov 29 23:44:29 EST 2009

PACIFIC MASTERS MISSION STATEMENT:
As adopted by the Pacific Masters Committee the Mission of Pacific Masters is:

Pacific Masters Swimming welcomes anyone who would like to gain and
maintain fitness through swimming and encourages programs to foster
this mission.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING
On behalf of the Pacific Masters Committee, we would like to wish you
the Happiest of Thanksgivings.

PacMasters is truly blessed to have the great coaches and the number
of swimming facilities and volunteers for our members. Whenever we
have needed people for a particular task there has been someone to
step up to do that task and I am very thankful for you. Again have a
Happy Thanksgiving.

16th Annual Reno Winners Meet
The 16th Annual Reno Winners Meet will be held at the Northwest Pool
in Reno, Nevada, Saturday December 5th 2009. The meet begins at noon
so there is plenty of time for swimmers west of the Sierra to travel
on I80 to get to the meet.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/09snmscy.pdf

The postmark of the preentry deadline is Wednesday 25 November.

DAM BRUTE SQUAD POSTAL
Davis Aquatic Masters is starting a new postal event - the DAM Brute
Squad Postal. This event is the 200 Fly, followed by the 400 IM
followed by the 1650 Free (or as Jim Clemmons said "It is 300 Fly,
followed by the 100 back, then the 100 Breast, and the 1750 free).
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/09dampostal.pdf

ANNUAL OFFICIALS MEETING 9 January
The annual Pacific Swimming Officials Clinic and Swimposium will be
Saturday 9 January at the Hilton Pleasonton at the Club 7050 Johnson
Drive, Pleasanton, CA. More information can be found at
http://www.pacswim.org/page/member_officials.html

PACIFIC SWIM COACHES CLINIC 7-10 January
The Pacific Swimming Coaches Clinic will be held at the Marriott
Hotel, Napa, CA. Included will be Stroke School; Creative Training
Sets (wet and dry); Stroke Development with David March; Specificity
in Dryland Training and other sets.

Information can be found at:
http://www.swimshop.com/assets/images/PSCC/PSCC%202010.pdf

USA SWIMMING CLUB LEADERSHIP AND BUSINESS MANAGEMENT SCHOOL
Concurrent with the Coaches Clinic will be the USA Swimming Club
Leadership and Business Management School The CLBMS isa six-hour
workshop for club coaches and board members to learn how to be more
effective in leading and managing their teams. more information can
be found at
http://www.swimshop.com/assets/images/PSCC/PSCC%202010.pdf

USA SWIMMING REGIONAL BUILD A POOL CONFERENCE
This is a 1 day (8 hour) will be conducted by USA Swimming's
Facilities Development Department staff. It will include Planning
Precedes Programming; programming precedes design and design
significance and options.
To Register contact Sue Nelson at 719-866-3594 or snelson at usaswimming.org

COACH NEEDED
ALAMEDA
Alameda Aquatic Masters (AAM) Swim Team has an opening for an
Assistant Coach position. This part time position will be responsible
assisting in coaching 10 workouts a week all year long, design swim
workouts to various levels of swimmers' ability and interest and
provide up-to-date coaching techniques and instruction to Team's
membership. AAM is looking for an individual, who is energetic,
motivated, well organized and can communicate effectively with adult
recreational and competitive swimmers. Please send a cover letter and
resume by December 31, 2009 to: aamcoaches at yahoo.com or Alameda
Aquatic Masters, 2109 Buena Vista Ave., Alameda, CA 94501

SCHEDULE BY MONTH
We have a new schedule by month that is on line. Thanks to Caroline
Lambert for putting the effort in to create the calendar.

http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/schedulemonth.html

SWIMMING ANATOMY
Coach Cokie Lepinski of the Marin Pirates Masters group highly
recommends Ian McLeod's new book "Swimming Anatomy." Swimming Anatomy
provides a stunning visual perspective on swimmers' muscles and how
they are developed. The full-color interior contains over 200
expertly drawn illustrations and anatomically grouped exercises with
icons identifying the strokes that will benefit most from each
exercise to make you faster in the water. The book is somewhat
technical and be sure you are up on your name of muscles and bones
before purchasing the book (or start studying).

It is available at Amazon:
http://tinyurl.com/yf5ggvo or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yf5ggvo
and it is available at Borders (I bought my copy there with a 30%
discount - join the Borders Club) and it is available at other book
stores.

SWAP OUT OLD USMS LOGO'ED APPAREL
U.S. Masters Swimming Members can swap out apparel with the old USMS
logo and receive 30% off apparel sporting the new USMS logo. Three
dealers are participating in the Apparel Swap: Kast-A-Way, Kiefer and
All-American Swim Supply. Check out their websites or catalogs to
choose your new apparel.

How it works...
* Print and complete the Apparel Swap Information Form
* Box up your old merchandise, including your Apparel Swap
Form, and ship it to the dealer of your choice
* Your dealer will contact you to take your order for new
apparel you'd like to purchase at 30% off

Other important information regarding the Apparel Swap ...
* Member pays for shipping
* Any shirts, fleeces, sweatshirts, bags and hats qualify for
the Apparel Swap, as long as they bear the old logo
* There is NO LIMIT to the number of items members can swap
for 30% off of another item
* 30% off can be applied to any shirt, fleece, sweatshirt,
bag or hat with the new U.S. Masters Swimming logo that your
preferred dealer has in stock

CLUBS REGISTERED FOR 2010
Thank you to the following clubs for registering for the 2010. Clubs
must be registered before swimmers can register with that club.

Name Abbr
Alameda Aquatic Masters AAM
Almaden Swim & Racquet Club ALMA
Alpine Hills Swimming Masters AHSM
Aquasol Masters AQUM
Bay Masters BAY
Bear River Swimming BRS
Berkeley (CA) Aquatic Masters BAM
Brentwood Masters Swim Club BMSP
Burlingame Aquatic Club BAC
Cal Maritime Academy Masters CMAM
Carson Tigersharks CARS
City of Morgan Hill Masters MHSC
Clovis Swim Club Masters CLOV
Club Assistant Swim Team CAST
Club Hot Tub HTUB
Club Sport of San Ramon CSSR
Davis Aquatic Masters DAM
Dolphin Club DC
El Camino YMCA Masters ECYM
El Cerrito Aquatic Masters ECAM
Fig Garden Swim Team FGST
Fog City Masters FOG
Fremont Glenmoor Masters FGM
Fresno Dolphin Masters Swim Team FDM
H2Oldies H2OL
JCCSF Masters Swimming JCCM
Ladera Oaks Masters LOM
Livermore Valley Tennis Club LVTC
Loch Ness Masters LNM
Los Altos Masters LAM
Los Altos Mountain View Masters LAMV
Los Gatos Swim And Racquet Club LGSR
Lucas Valley Aquatics Masters LVAM
Manatee Aquatic Masters Inc MAM
Marin Pirates Masters MPM
Masters Penguin Swim Club MPSC
Mavericks Masters Swimming MMSW
Menlo Masters Aka Team Sheeper MELO
Miracle Swimming Institute MSI
Modesto Area Aquatic Club MAAC
Montclair Swim Club MSC
Motherlode Masters 49ER
Mount Tam Racquet Club MTRC
Mountain View Masters MVM
North Bay Aquatics NBA
Oakwood Athletic Club Masters OAK
Orinda Aquatic Masters OAM
Peninsula Covenant Aquatic Masters PCAM
Petaluma Valley Masters PVMA
Presentation Masters PRES
RCP Tiburon Milers RCP
Redding Swim Team RAD
Redwood Coast Masters RCM
Rocklin Aquatics Masters RAMS
Rolling Hills Mud Sharks RHMS
Sacramento Masters SAC
San Francisco Tsunami Masters TSUN
San Mateo Master Marlins SMMM
Santa Clara Swim Club Masters SCSC
Santa Clara University Swimming SCUS
Santa Cruz Masters Aquatics CRUZ
Santa Rosa Masters SRM
Scotia Swim Team SST
Sierra Marlins Swim Team Masters SMST
Sierra Nevada Masters SNM
SOLO Swim Club SOLO
South Palo Alto Masters SPAS
Stanford Masters Swimming STAN
Strawberry Canyon Aquatic Masters SCAM
Tamalpais Aquatic Masters TAM
Temescal Aquatic Masters TEME
The Olympic Club TOC
Tri Valley Masters TVM
Truckee Tahoe Aquatics Masters TTAM
Truckee Tahoe Swim Team TTST
Tuolumne County Aquatic Masters TCAM
University of San Francisco Masters USF
Vacaville Swim Club VACA
Valley Splash Aquatic Masters VSAM
Walnut Creek Masters WCM
West Coast Aquatic Masters WEST
Wine Country Masters WINE
Winters Aquatic Club WNTR
Woodland Swim Team Masters WOOD
Yuba City Masters Swimming YCMS

TO REPLY OR COMMENT Or Remove
To reply or comment about anything in this email, please write to
mailto:update06 at pacificmasters.org
DO NOT use the above address to remove your address

If you hit the reply key on your computer, your email may or may not
be seen in a timely manner. Use only the update06 address please.

If you are wishing to get off the list, mail to
mailto:pacmasterupdate at six.pairlist.net, then put
Remove
in the subject line. i try to keep track of everyone who wants to
get off the email list -they go on a separate list, so that next
year when people join we can keep those who want to be off the list,
off the list. Sending emails to other than pacmasterupdate will not
keep removal list current.

-michael

END OF THE YEAR
It is hard to believe that we are almost at the end of 2009. Only 32
days left before we begin 2010. The Reno Winners meet will be on
Saturday. The weather forecast is for no snow or rain, so those on
the west side of the Sierra can easily drive across Donner Pass to
compete.

The Jon Steiner 1650, organized by Tamalpias Masters will start on
the 19th of December and next year the US Masteres Swimming will be
also be organized by Tamalpias Masters.

Because you are a US Masters Swimmer you can create your town Fitness
Log account on the US Masters Swimming web site. You can log your
daily swimming yardage and it will track your yardage through out the
year. Go to
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
to create your own account. It would be a good start for next year,
but starting to log your yardage in the account. (I have already
surpassed the yardage, I swam last year and well on my way to making
my goal of 250 Miles for the year (440,000 yards).

The Go the Distance has a great worksheet to log your daily yardage.
It has more distinct ways to log your yardage, that most people will
ever need.

--
michael w. moore
michael at pacificmasters.org