[PacMasterUpdate] Margery Meyer, RIP 1922-2009

Update on Pacific Masters Swimming sent to members and friends. Wed Dec 2 17:25:56 EST 2009

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Margery Meyer, a member of The Olympic Club. She lost her two year battle of cancer, on Wednesday, November 25th.

Margery started swimming when her daughter, Marguerite, convinced her to swim at the 1987 Nationals; Margery was then 64 . She was always very active, throughout her life, growing up on a sheep ranch here in California, riding, hiking the hills, skiing in the Sierras, sailing in San Francisco Bay, and jumping in at any opportunity to swim or skinny-dip in any puddle, pool , waterfall, stream, lake or ocean. It is no surprise that Margery took to competing in swimming masters, and became hooked.

Since 1987, Margery achieved 424 top USMS times in her 22 year career. She set almost 50 world records, and competed in four FINA Masters World Championships, winning 11 gold, 5 silver, and 2 bronze medals. When she passed, she was the current record holder in 9 world records and 13 US Masters Swimming records.

There is an article about her in the USMS magazine,

http://www.usmsswimmer.com/200511/margerymeyer.pdf

And on the USMS Website

http://www.usms.org/hist/sto/index.php?ID=178&srt=

She was quoted as saying, “I found something lurking deep that gave birth to something in me…a potential I didn’t know I had. I got a taste of it, and away I went!

Margery was inducted into the International Swimming Hall of Fame on September 12th, for her swimming achievements.

We will all miss Margery Meyer and her incredible sense of humor, her sharpness, her dedication, and her fight until the end! Our thoughts and prayers go out to Marguerite and her family in this sad time!