[PacMasterUpdate] 30 December - HAPPY NEW YEAR

Update on Pacific Masters Swimming sent to members and friends. Thu Dec 31 01:02:29 EST 2009

PACIFIC MASTERS MISSION STATEMENT:
As adopted by the Pacific Masters Committee the Mission of Pacific Masters is:

Pacific Masters Swimming welcomes anyone who would like to gain and
maintain fitness through swimming and encourages programs to foster
this mission.

Happy New Year

On behalf of the Pacific Masters Committee, Nancy Ridout, our
registrar and the executive committee and, we wish you the Happiest
of New Years. May you have a prosperous and successful 2010.

2009 in Review
2009 was a very successful year for Pacific Masters Swimming. Almost
10,700 swimmers registered with Pacific, an increase of over 7% from
2008. there were 128 Pacific Masters clubs.

Pacific sanctioned 21 pool events includes nine scy meets, two LCM
meets,five SCM meets, two postal meets and one intensive training
camp. Pacific also recognized the National Senior Gams and the
Manteca Senior games.

Pacific had 19 open water swims that included the new Hot August
Chill at Donner Lake. A total of 3,966 swimmers raced in the Pacific
Masters Open Water season, an increase of more than 6800 swimmers
from 2008. For the feist time Pacific sponsored an open water clinic
that was held at Lake Del Valle.

Pacific completed the movement to Hy-Tek Meet Manager to arun all
pool meets. Every meet used Hy-Tek Meet Manager in 2009. This allowed
a consistent product for the participants of our competitive events.

PacMasters Task force decided mid-year to use Club Assistant for
on-line meet registration. The meet registration service performs US
Masters Swimming member verification prior to completion of meet
registration.

The Pacific Masters newsletter goes out six times a year and is
included in the US Masters Swimming Swimmer magazine.

The Update was sent out over 40 times in 2009 to over 15000 swimmers.
We cut back the number of recipients in the beginning of the year and
increased the number of copies sent to over 16,300. The Update has
been an effective way to communicate with PacMasters swimmers.

All of this has been done by volunteers who have given generously of
their time. Pacific has done well because of our talented people.

NEW REGISTRATION YEAR
If you have not registered yet, you can registered on-line.
https://www.ClubAssistant.com/club/USMS.cfm?l=38
All Pacific Masters memberships expire on Thursday 31 December 31. It
is very important that you register. Your registration fee helps
supports US Masters Swimming and PacMasters. Your membership fee pays
for the secondary insurance, the USMS Swimmer, and the webs sites.
Swimming is a great exercise; exercise that our bodies need. We hope
you continue to swim, as we are "Swimming for Life."

For clubs to be covered by USMasters Swimming Secondary insurance,
all swimmers must be currently registered. You can still register
using a paper registration, by going to the PacMasters home page
http://www.pacificmasters.org

2010 MEMBERSHIP
Currently there are 3653 swimmers and 102 clubs registered with
Pacific. The 20 clubs with the largest number of members are:
CLUB Number
Davis 329
Walnut Creek 195
Manatees 161
Stanford 134
Tuolumne County 130
USF 128
TriValley 118
Santa Cruz 112
Mountain View 103
Bay 98
Temescal 97
Modesto 96
Strawberry Canyon 91
Burlingame 86
Menlo 85
Tsunami 85
Santa Clara 82
Alameda 69
Rinconada 60
South End 60

In about a month we will have the final numbers of club registration
for 2009, along with the club registration. Congratulations to all
the coaches and clubs that have done so well

ANNUAL OFFICIALS MEETING 9 January
The annual Pacific Swimming Officials Clinic and Swimposium will be
Saturday 9 January at the Hilton Pleasonton at the Club 7050 Johnson
Drive, Pleasanton, CA. More information can be found at
http://www.pacswim.org/page/member_officials.html

PACIFIC SWIM COACHES CLINIC 7-10 January
The Pacific Swimming Coaches Clinic will be held at the Marriott
Hotel, Napa, CA. Included will be Stroke School; Creative Training
Sets (wet and dry); Stroke Development with David Marsh; Specificity
in Dryland Training and other sets.

Information can be found at:
http://www.swimshop.com/assets/images/PSCC/PSCC%202010.pdf

PacMasters is offering partial scholarships for coaches to attend
the clinic. For more information, please contact Cokie Lepinski at:
mailto:coaches at pacificmasters.org

USA SWIMMING CLUB LEADERSHIP AND BUSINESS MANAGEMENT SCHOOL
Concurrent with the Coaches Clinic will be the USA Swimming Club
Leadership and Business Management School The CLBMS isa six-hour
workshop for club coaches and board members to learn how to be more
effective in leading and managing their teams. more information can
be found at
http://www.swimshop.com/assets/images/PSCC/PSCC%202010.pdf

USA SWIMMING REGIONAL BUILD A POOL CONFERENCE
This is a 1 day (8 hour) will be conducted by USA Swimming's
Facilities Development Department staff. It will include Planning
Precedes Programming; programming precedes design and design
significance and options.
To Register contact Sue Nelson at 719-866-3594 or snelson at usaswimming.org

COACHES NEEDED
ALAMEDA
Alameda Aquatic Masters (AAM) Swim Team has an opening for an
Assistant Coach position. This part time position will be responsible
assisting in coaching 10 workouts a week all year long, design swim
workouts to various levels of swimmers' ability and interest and
provide up-to-date coaching techniques and instruction to Team's
membership. AAM is looking for an individual, who is energetic,
motivated, well organized and can communicate effectively with adult
recreational and competitive swimmers. Please send a cover letter and
resume by December 31, 2009 to: aamcoaches at yahoo.com or Alameda
Aquatic Masters, 2109 Buena Vista Ave., Alameda, CA 94501

MOUNTAIN VIEW MASTERS
Responsibilities
o MVM is looking for a head swim coach who will lead the
workout program and create a fun, supportive swim environment. The
head coach will also work in close partnership with the MVM board to
implement the strategic vision of the club.
o The head coach is responsible for developing a workout plan
for our year-round program, running the majority of weekly morning
practices, managing the coaching schedule to ensure all practices are
covered, providing feedback to the swimmers, and manage stroke
clinics.
o The head coach will set the direction and goals of the
coaching program and work with his/her assistant coaching staff
effectively to implement the program. If necessary, the head coach
will recruit and, with board approval, hire qualified assistant
coaches that embody the MVM philosophies.
o To ensure that the overall team is aligned to the same
vision, the head coach will be expected to attend the monthly MVM
board meetings and hold quarterly coaching staff meetings.
This is a part-time hourly position. Expected hours will be
approximately 15-20 hours per week, including time on deck. Hourly
rate will be commensurate with experience. Interested Parties should
send their cover letter and resume to: jobs at mvm.org

SCHEDULE BY MONTH
We have a new schedule by month that is on line. Thanks to Caroline
Lambert for putting the effort in to create the calendar.

http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/schedulemonth.html

TOC Honors Margery Meyer In the TOC 1500

The 2010 Olympic Club1500 Meter Swim Meet will be dedicated in honor
of Mergery Meyer. Entries for the event must be postmarked by 6
January, 2010. You will be able to swim the event in the tech suit.
Entries for the event must be postmarked by 6 January, 2010. You will
be able to swim the event in the tech suit.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/10tocscm.pdf

FOG CITY QUADRATHON
The Fog City Quadrathon will be Sunday 24 January at the Herbst
Natatorium, St Ignatius College Prep, San Francisco. This meet will
feature the 500 Fr, 200 Fr, 100 Fr and the 50 Fr. The pre entry
deadline is 20 January 2010.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/10fogscy.pdf

USMS 3000 AND 6000 YARD POSTAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
The results of the USMS 3000 and 6000 Yard Postal Championships are
now posted on the USMS website. Congratulations to all who
participated.

http://www.usms.org/longdist/ldnats09/

CLUBS REGISTERED FOR 2010
Thank you to the following clubs for registering for the 2010. Clubs
must be registered before swimmers can register with that club.

Name Abbr
Alameda Aquatic Masters AAM
Almaden Swim & Racquet Club ALMA
Alpine Hills Swimming Masters AHSM
Aquasol Masters AQUM
Arden Hills Masters Swimming AHMS
Bay Masters BAY
Bear River Swimming BRS
Berkeley (CA) Aquatic Masters BAM
Brentwood Masters Swim Club BMSP
Burlingame Aquatic Club BAC
Cal Maritime Academy Masters CMAM
Carson Tigersharks CARS
Carson Valley Masters CVM
Chico Masters Swimming CHIC
City of Morgan Hill Masters MHSC
Clovis Swim Club Masters CLOV
Club Assistant Swim Team CAST
Club Hot Tub HTUB
Club Sport of San Ramon CSSR
Davis Aquatic Masters DAM
Dolphin Club DC
El Camino YMCA Masters ECYM
El Cerrito Aquatic Masters ECAM
Ellis Electric Eels EEE
Fig Garden Swim Team FGST
Fog City Masters OG
Fremont Glenmoor Masters FGM
Fresno Dolphin Masters Swim Team FDM
H2Oldies H2OL
Hanford YMCA Masters HYM
JCCSF Masters Swimming JCCM
Ladera Oaks Masters LOM
Livermore Valley Tennis Club LVTC
Loch Ness Masters LNM
Los Altos Masters LAM
Los Altos Mountain View Masters LAMV
Los Gatos Swim And Racquet Club LGSR
Lucas Valley Aquatics Masters LVAM
Madera Masters Swimmers MMS
Manatee Aquatic Masters Inc MAM
Marin Pirates Masters MPM
Masters Penguin Swim Club MPSC
Mavericks Masters Swimming MMSW
Menlo Masters Aka Team Sheeper MELO
Miracle Swimming Institute MSI
Modesto Area Aquatic Club MAAC
Montclair Swim Club MSC
Motherlode Masters 49ER
Mount Tam Racquet Club MTRC
Mountain View Masters MVM
Napa Valley Masters NVM
North Bay Aquatics NBA
Oakwood Athletic Club Masters OAK
Orinda Aquatic Masters OAM
Parkpoint Patriots PPP
Peninsula Covenant Aquatic Masters PCAM
Petaluma Valley Masters PVMA
Presentation Masters PRES
RCP Tiburon Milers RCP
Redding Swim Team RAD
Redwood Coast Masters RCM
Rinconada Masters RINC
Rocklin Aquatics Masters RAMS
Rolling Hills Mud Sharks RHMS
Sacramento Masters SAC
San Francisco Rec & Parks Masters SFRP
San Francisco Tsunami Masters TSUN
San Mateo Master Marlins SMMM
San Rafael Aquatics Teams SRAT
Santa Clara Swim Club Masters SCSC
Santa Clara University Swimming SCUS
Santa Cruz Masters Aquatics CRUZ
Santa Rosa Masters SRM
Scotia Swim Team SST
Sierra Marlins Swim Team Masters SMST
Sierra Nevada Masters SNM
Solano Aquatic Sea Otters SASO
SOLO Swim Club SOLO
South End Rowing Club SERC
South Palo Alto Masters SPAS
St Helena Masters Swimming SHMS
Stanford Masters Swimming STAN
Strawberry Canyon Aquatic Masters SCAM
Tamalpais Aquatic Masters TAM
Temescal Aquatic Masters TEME
The Olympic Club TOC
Tri Valley Masters TVM
Truckee Tahoe Aquatics Masters TTAM
Truckee Tahoe Swim Team TTST
Tuolumne County Aquatic Masters TCAM
Univ of the Pacific Masters UOPM
University of San Francisco Masters USF
Vacaville Swim Club VACA
Valley Splash Aquatic Masters VSAM
Walnut Creek Masters WCM
West Coast Aquatic Masters WEST
Western Athletic Club Masters WACM
Wine Country Aquatics of Napa WCAN
Wine Country Masters WINE
Winters Aquatic Club WNTR
Woodland Swim Team Masters WOOD
Yuba City Masters Swimming YCMS

TO REPLY OR COMMENT Or Remove
To reply or comment about anything in this email, please write to
mailto:update06 at pacificmasters.org
DO NOT use the above address to remove your address

If you hit the reply key on your computer, your email may or may not
be seen in a timely manner. Use only the update06 address please.

If you are wishing to get off the list, mail to
mailto:pacmasterupdate at six.pairlist.net, then put
Remove
in the subject line. i try to keep track of everyone who wants to
get off the email list -they go on a separate list, so that next
year when people join we can keep those who want to be off the list,
off the list. Sending emails to other than pacmasterupdate will not
keep removal list current.

-michael

END OF THE YEAR
Because you are a US Masters Swimmer you can create your town Fitness
Log account on the US Masters Swimming web site. You can log your
daily swimming yardage and it will track your yardage through out the
year. Go to
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
to create your own account. It would be a good start for next year,
but starting to log your yardage in the account. (I made my goal of
swimming 250 miles during 2009. Now do I raise the bar?)

The Go the Distance has a great worksheet to log your daily yardage.
It has more distinct ways to log your yardage, that most people will
ever need.

END OF YEAR DONATIONS
For those who are considering making donations to charitable
organizations, I would like to recommend two swimming related
charities:
The USMS Endowment Fund is the charitable arm of US Masters
Swimming and provides grants to programs with a focus on medical and
health research on the benefits of swimming, development assistance
for new masters programs and help Masters programs with special
needs. Supported projects include:

SwimFest - an annual interactive coaching experience that includes
pairing up mentor Masters coaches with aspiring Masters coaches.
Indiana University Counsilman Center - Focus is on the research on
the obvious physiological mechanisms that lead researches to believe
that Masters swimmers may be 10 to 15 years younger than their
chronological age.
Arizona State University: A study on how swimmers stroke changes
as we age (hopefully, we get better).
Arcadia University - a study on the modifiable risk factors for
shoulder pain in swimmers.
If you would like to discuss opportunities to contribute to the
USMS Endowment Fund, contact Rob Butcher at mailto:rob at usms.org (be
sure to tell him you are a member of Pacific Masters).

The International Swimming Hall of Fame in Ft Lauderdale is the
repository for much of the swimming history. While the hall is always
worth a visit when visiting south Florida, they need our support.
http://ishof.org/
Membership starts at $35.00

--
michael w. moore