[PacMasterUpdate] 9 March 2010

Update on Pacific Masters Swimming sent to members and friends. pacmasterupdate at PacificMasters.org
Wed Mar 10 00:41:07 EST 2010

PACIFIC MASTERS MISSION STATEMENT:
As adopted by the Pacific Masters Committee the Mission of Pacific Masters is:

Pacific Masters Swimming welcomes anyone who
would like to gain and maintain fitness through
swimming and encourages programs to foster this
mission.

Rinconada Spring Meet- Online Deadline Wednesday

The Rinconada Spring Short Course Yards Meet will
be on Saturday March 13th at the Rinconada Pool,
Palo Alto, Ca. Included in the meet are two
novice events the 50 yard free and the 50 yard
backstroke.

The on-line entry deadline is Wednesday 10 March.
Except for the 1000 free, swimmers may deck enter
the meet. The 1000 free must be pre entered.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/10rincScy.pdf

PACIFIC MASTERS MONTHLY MEETING
The monthly meeting of Pacific Masters Swimming
will be held at Heather Farms, Walnut Creek
California. All members are invited to attend and
all teams are asked to send a representative to
the meeting.

SERVICE AWARD NOMINATIONS
At this month's meeting, we will be choosing the
swimmers of the year. We will also be nominating
and choosing the Contributor of the Year, the
Appreciation Award recipient, the Distinguished
Service award and the recipient of the Personal
Achievement Award.

Contributor of the Year Award
The purpose of this award is to recognize outstanding contributions to Masters
Swimming during the calendar year preceding the
year in which the award is presented.

Personal Achievement Award
The purpose of this award is to recognize long
term dedication to our program and reward
noticeable improvement in one's own skills and
times

Distinguished Service Award
The purpose of this award is to recognize
outstanding contributions to Pacific Masters
Swimming.

Appreciation Award
The purpose of this award is to express special
thanks to individuals or groups who have made
significant contributions to PMS.

The criteria for the award is in the Admin handbook at
http://www.pacificmasters.org/admin/gto/admin09.pdf

Any Pacific Masters swimmer may nominate a person
or club for these awards. Please send you
nomination to either Michael Moore
(chairman at pacificmasters.org or Nancy Ridout
(registrar at pacificmasters.org)

SCAM Meet
The Strawberry Canyon Aquatic Masters is Sunday
28 March 2010. The 500 must be pre entered and is
limited to five heats of mens 500 and five heats
of womans 500.

Mail entry postmark deadline is 16th March. The
on-line deadline is Wednesday 24th March.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/10scamscy.pdf

BAY AREA SENIOR GAMES
Swimming will be using short course events held
at the Avery Aquatic Center, on the Stanford
Campus on April 10th. You can register by mail by
going to
http://www.bayareaseniorgames.org/pdf/FINALBASGRegistration.pdf

The 2010 Bay Area Senior Games organizers are
excited to announce a partnership with 23andMe to
include Bay Area Senior Games athletes in the
Senior Games Genome Project.

This project was launched at the 2009 Summer
National Senior Games held at Stanford last
summer. Nearly 5,000 senior athletes
participated last year and now it is your
turn. As part of the project, all athletes
competing in the 2010 Bay Area Senior Games are
eligible to receive 23andMe's Personal Genome
ServiceÔ at no cost.

Based on your genes, you can learn things like:
o Whether you're more inclined to sprinting or endurance events.
o Where your ancestors lived, and how they got there.
o How your genes affect your risk for diabetes,
cancer, arthritis and dozens of other diseases.

Come by the 23andMe booth near athlete
registration on 4/10 or 4/11 to receive your free
kit (a $499 value) and learn how to participate.

Visit www.23andMe.com for more information about 23andMe.

PACIFIC MASTERS SHORT COURSE YARDS CHAMPIONSHIPS
Information about the 2010 Pacific Masters Short
Course Yards Championships is posted.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/10wcmTvmScy.pdf
This meet is very competitive and is a lot of fun
for the swimmers. You can register on line at:
https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=1301&smid=2061

OPEN WATER 201
For open water swimmers put on your calendar
Sunday, May 2, Open Water 201, Lake Del Valle,
Livermore, that is sponsored by Pacific Masters
Swimming.

This is an open water clinic for experienced
open water swimmers. Must have completed at
least 2 OW swims of mile each and be able to
swim a mile in 30 minutes or less. Key speaker
is Lisa Hazen, an international and local open
water champion. Limited to 50 swimmers. Dryland
talk, in water drills, 1/2 mile swim. More
information coming. . .
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/10OW201.pdf

US MASTERS SWIMMING 2010 SHORT COURSE YARDS CHAMPIONSHIPS
You can now enter on-line the 2010 US Master's
Swimming Short Court Yards Championships in
Atlanta in May,
http://www.grinswim.org/USMS2010K/

TRANS TAHOE RELAY
The registration link for the Trans Tahoe relay
has been posted. This is a very very popular race
and the maximum number of swimmers was reached
very early last year. If your team would like to
swim in the event this year, it would behoove you
to register early:
https://www.clubassistant.com/club/clinics.cfm?c=1128

TO REPLY OR COMMENT Or Remove
To reply or comment about anything in this email, please write to
mailto:update06 at pacificmasters.org
DO NOT use the above address to remove your address

If you hit the reply key on your computer, your email may or may not
be seen in a timely manner. Use only the update06 address please.

If you are wishing to get off the list, mail to
mailto:pacmasterupdate at six.pairlist.net, then put
Remove
in the subject line. i try to keep track of
everyone who wants to get off the email list
-they go on a separate list, so that next year
when people join we can keep those who want to be
off the list, off the list. Sending emails to
other than pacmasterupdate will not keep removal
list current.

-michael

--
michael w. moore
michael at pacificmasters.org

LOOKING FOR HELP
Pacific Masters meets every other month at
Heather Farms for our monthly meeting. There are
some members who live far away who would like
participate by phone. We do not have a land line
there and most mobile phones do not have the
sensativity to pickup the sounds of what people
are saying. We are looking for a solution so
swimmers from far away can participate. If you
think you have a solution, please contact michael
at mailto:chairman at pacificmasters.org . One
person suggested skype which we may use if we can
get a WiFi signal. If you have an idea on how to
do this, please let me know.

DNA
For those swimmers who compete in the Bay Area
Senior Games, you will be offered a chance to
have your DNA tested and then you are given the
results.I did it as part of the National Senior
Games held last year at Stanford. I spit into a
tube, then the tube is sent to a lab and later
you are given a report (On-line) that you can
review. The results were fascinating, it said I
likely had blue eyes, I was likely tolerant to
lactose and that I was an unlikely sprinter (very
true). If you are 50 or over, the value of the
test is well worth the competing at the games.