[PacMasterUpdate] August 12, 2001

pacmasterupdate-admin at PacificMasters.org Mon Aug 13 01:11:12 EDT 2001

ITS CHAMPIONSHIP TIME
United States Masters Swimming Long Course Meters Championships will
be next weekend in Federal Way, Washington. The Championships run
Thursday through Sunday. Pacific will be well represented by many
swimmers. For those who want to follow the action, the heats will be
available "live" on line.
	http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats01/

will link to the live heats.  You can also use that link for the daily results.

    USA SWIMMING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
The USA Swimming Long Course National will be held in Clovis (near
Fresno), CA. If you are in the area August 14-18, you may wish to see
some of America's best swimmers competing. The USA Swimming web site
	http://www.usa-swimming.org/events/events_subroutines.pl?frmEventID=426&frmSubID=national

has all the information about the meet and will have the results.

    PACIFIC SWIMMING FAR WESTERN CHAMPIONSHIPS
Pacific Swimming's Far Western Championships will be August 15-19 in
Concord. Many very good swimmers who did not quite qualify for
Nationals will swim here.

OOOPS - I APOLOGIZE
To the lady who was trying to be helpful about the Leukemia Triathlon
at Treasure Island and I was very curt in responding, I apologize.
See "inside baseball" after the signature for what happened.

IN THE NEWS
The San Francisco Chronicle had an article about John Nabor in the
"Where are they now" article of the sports section
	http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/08/12/SP179930.DTL

There was also an article about 1960 Olympian Anne Cribbs, who is
working on trying to get the 2012 Olympic Game to the San Francisco
Bay area:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/08/12/MN51352.DTL

UPCOMING EVENTS
   LAKE DEL VALLE 2X1 OPEN WATER RELAY
The Manatees 2x1 Lake Del Valle Open Water Relay will be August 19th
at Lake Del Valle near Livermore.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/01mamow.html
The Manatee 2x1 Open Water Relay Swim at Lake Del Valle.  The meet
director expects the lake to be back to its normal elevation before
the race on August 19th.It should be a great swim. Race day entries
will be allowed. Find a friend and swim. It is a fun event to swim in.

For more information or an entry form,
    http://www.pacificmasters.org/manatee/2by1.htm

   PINECREST OPEN WATER SWIM
Pinecrest Lake Open water swim is August 25th at Pinecrest Lake (east
of Sonora)
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/01tuol.html

Pacific Masters NEW AFFILIATE
Lands End

Pacific Masters entered into a new affiliate relationship with Lands'
End Apparel . Lands' End is a maker of fine sports apparel for the
active person.

If you click on the link to Lands' End from the Pacific Masters web
site (like the link above or the link in the navigation bar) Lands'
End will rebate some of the money of your purchase to Pacific
Masters. Pacific will only receive funds if you click on the Lands
End web site from the Pacific web site
	http://www.pacificmasters.org

The Pacific Masters Logo'ed shirts that meet officials wear are from Lands End.

SCHEDULING FOR NEXT YEAR
Marcia Benjamin has sent out to each club the forms to get on the
Pacific Masters schedule. If you did not receive a set of forms
please contact Marcia mailto: msbenjamin at earthlink.net . If you are
thinking about scheduling a meet, but have not put one on before or
it is not on the current schedule, contact either Barry Fasbender for
pool meets mailto:fasbenderb at aol.com or Jim Wheeler
mailto:jwheeler at sanselmo.org for open water meets. Both can tell you
about what is needed to put on a meet and give you the "inside"
information.

FROM THE DESK OF COACH MIDNIGHT
Last week it was "Train like Lance, This week it's be like 'Flipper';
what is it going to be next week -- Swim like King Kong?"

How many of you have finished a long series of repeats and knowing
you will have more repeats to do in a little bit -- so you crawl out
of the pool to flop on the deck to 'get more air and cool off' ??

Well, if you do you are actually making your recovery time longer and
less effective!!

The reason is threefold:

1) By getting out of the water (a near 'zero gravity environment) you
are now forcing your heart to not only be pumping your blood to and
from your working muscles in its effort to 'flush out' and
resynthesize the by-products of exercise; but now it has to combat
the pull of gravity. This dramatically increases the time needed to
recover.  So, be 'Heart Smart' and stay low (in the water).

2) The second reason is that during demanding exercise you build up
quite a bit of body heat -- which is regulated by various factors.
But most important for swimmers is the fact that water will 'wick
away' increases in body heat some 200 times greater than exposure to
the same air temperature. This is the reason swimmers can put in such
grueling practices ---  such that if they were transposed to a runner
doing the same practice on a track  ---  you would have a very
physically distressed runner (read that: one sick puppy).

3) The last factor is the reason for the mention of "Flipper".  We
humans share a common bond and physiological trait with sea creatures
such as dolphins,seals and whales. It's called "the mammalian diving
reflex". Essentially, when we go underwater our body undergoes
remarkable shifts in processing oxygen and recovering from exercise.
The heart rate recovers and slows down much more rapidly from
exertion  when you submerge (and this is accelerated if you bob under
water repeatedly -- 'blowing bubbles' each time). Excess carbon
dioxide (a by-product of work) is blown off  at a much faster rate
also.

So, if you cant swim as fast as 'Flipper' --- at least you can share
some of the same characteristics. And your ability to put in more
productive practices will reap the benefits!!

    Coach Midnight

COACH NEEDED
Fog City Masters is looking for a person to coach three of the five
evening workouts of the well established evening crowd. Salary DOE.
Contact Diane Davis 415 731 2522 or mailto:ddavis at siprep.org

CONTACTING THE UPDATE
If you wish to unsubscribe or subscribe, please go to the links that
are in the headers of this email. If you make the correction, it will
take about 30 seconds on the web site - be sure you know your email
address or send it from your email address.

If you wish to contact the Update about editorial and news matters please email
	michael at pacificmasters.org

I plan to be at USMS Nationals next week. Driving up to Seatle and
back. Next week's Update will be late and the results of the 2x1 will
be on the web when I get them, but most likely not before Monday
night.

have a  good week

michael

INSIDE BASEBALL
The Pacific Masters Swimming Update Mailing list has just a little
over 8000 on the list. I sometimes get requests from people who just
hit the Reply button. Most of those messages are from people who want
to unsubscribe, but sometimes I get email from people asking for
information. Christine asked  about the Leukemia Team in training
using the update email address.

In the administrative section, which is where the email of people who
hit the reply button email is sent, there are four buttons. One is
reject. I can write a response then hit the reject button and the
sender will get a my response (dont ask it is confusing).

Next to the reject button is the "accept" button. If I hit the accept
button then everyone on the list - all 8000+ people - will get a copy
of the message. that is what happened. Only I did not immediately
know I hit the "accept" button. I thought I had hit the "reject"
button.

A couple of minutes later, I get a response telling me that this may
be the November Leukemia Triathlon on Treasure Island. I thought it
was Christine, so I responded that I was not a triathlete and had no
idea about the November triathlon event. I was a little curt to
someone who was trying to be helpful.

About 10 minutes later, I get a bunch of email responses that
indicates to me that I did not hit the reject button,  but the Accept
button that sent the message to everyone.

Now I realized my mistake, and wanted to find the email address of
the first woman who responded, to apologize for being curt, but I
could not find the address.

I got many many answers  (which I forwarded to Christine) about the
Leukemia Team in Training, about the Treasure Island Triathlon on
November 4th and a few people who told her where she could train.
	http://www.teamintraining.com/calendar.html
To everyone who sent a reply - thank you

mwm