[PacMasterUpdate] September 16, 2001 Update

pacmasterupdate-admin at PacificMasters.org Mon Sep 17 02:48:33 EDT 2001

USMS CONVENTION POSTPONED
The US Masters Swimming 2001 was postponed due to the recent events.
The executive committee is evaluating when the convention should take
place. Currently under consideration is a weekend in November and a
weekend in December. A decision will be made soon.

USMS is run by its officers and volunteers, it is important that
officers, committee chairmen and delegates meet to decide how to run
the organization. This year the USMS votes on a new set of officers
to run the organization and there were also some legislation and
rules to consider. Many of the delegates would not have been able to
attend the convention so the convention had to be postponed.

BREASTSTROKE KICK IN THE BUTTERFLY
One of the issues that was to be considered at the convention was the
use of the breaststroke kick in the butterfly. That decision has been
put off until the convention, however, for any swimmer who thinks
that he/she will have a chance to set a world record or a FINA Top
Ten time, you will have to fill out a form to give to the referee
before the event. The exact way that Pacific will handle it has not
been finalized, but if you have a chance to set a record or a Top Ten
time, you must fill out the form BEFORE the the event.

OTHER RULES CHANGES
At the USA-Swimming convention, there were technical rules changes
that were made to the strokes - these are also FINA rule changes.
This changes were more permissive than the current rules. USMS
automatically adopts USA-Swimming rules unless the House of Delegates
votes to overturn them. The rules below will be added to the
technical rules (the House may overturn the rules, but this is
considered unlikely). These rules go into effect September 20th.

* Allowing the elbows to be above the surface of the water on the
final stroke prior to the turn, during the turn and at the finish.
Previously, only the last stroke prior to the finish could have the
elbows above the water.

* During the butterfly swim, the swimmer must be on the breast.
Previously, the swimmers shoulders also needed to be in line with the
surface of the water.

* A backstroke swimmer may be submerged at the finish of the race.

UPCOMING EVENTS
  SWIM SAN FRANCISCO- ENTRIES CLOSE THIS WEEK
San Francisco Tsunami Swim team is sponsoring Swim San Francisco at
the Burlingame Aqutic Center Saturday September 29. Swim SF is a
pre-seeded meet and the entry deadline is this Wednesday, September
19th. Proceeds from Swim SF 2001 will be contributed to Bay
Positives, serving HIV positive youth and the Breast Cancer Emergency
Fund, providing support to women living with cancer.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/01tsunscy.html

All the sanctioned meets meet sheets have been posted on the Pacific
Masters web site:
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/schd.html

  FOLSOM LAKE OPEN WATER SWIM
The Rocklin Aquatic Masters will be running the Folsom Lake Open
Water Swim on September 22. Folsom Lake is about 30 miles east of
Sacramento. Nancy Kelly, the meet director said " there is plenty of
water in the lake... we have been swimming out there every weekend
and there is plenty of water to set up our OW swims!  The awards are
great , the t-shirts are terrific, the water is warm!" The Folsom
Lake Swim is the last open water swim of the season.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/01ramsow.html

   SACRAMENTO PENTATHLON
The Sacramento Pentathlon will be October 7th, in Davis. Deck entries
will be welcome.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/01sacscy.html

   MONTHLY MEETING
The Pacific Masters September monthly meeting will be September 26th
7:30pm at the Danville community center.

   OFFICIALS CLINIC
There will be an officials clinic at Saratoga High School on
September 29th from 8a.m. 'til 12 noon.  For more information call
408-266-2623 days, 408-268-7154 evenings.

Pacific Masters AFFILIATE
Lands End

Pacific Masters entered into a new affiliate relationship with Lands'
End Apparel . Lands' End is a maker of fine sports apparel for the
active person.

If you click on the link to Lands' End from the Pacific Masters web
site (like the link above or the link in the navigation bar) Lands'
End will rebate some of the money of your purchase to Pacific
Masters. Pacific will only receive funds if you click on the Lands
End web site from the Pacific web site
	http://www.pacificmasters.org

The Pacific Masters Logo'ed shirts that meet officials wear are from Lands End.

SEPTEMBER 1 - CHANGE IN DUES
Effective September 1, the individual membership dues is $15.00. This
is to cover the period from registration to December 31, 2001. Please
send in the correct amount. If a swimmer sends in normal $25.00,
there will be no refund unless the member specifically requests a
refund.

JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Sierra College (Rocklin) is looking for a full time coach swimming/waterpolo.

Chabot/Los Positas JC is also looking for a full time coach swimming/waterpolo.

Contra Costa College is also looking for a full time coach swimming/waterpolo.
	http://www.collegesofcc.cc.ca.us/

SCHEDULING FOR NEXT YEAR
   MEETS IN JANUARY
If you are planing to have a meet in January, it is important that
the meet director get the information to Barry Fasbender and Marcia
Benjamin so that your meet can be listed in Swim Magazine.

Marcia Benjamin has sent out to each club the forms to get on the
Pacific Masters schedule. If you did not receive a set of forms
please contact Marcia mailto: msbenjamin at earthlink.net . If you are
thinking about scheduling a meet, but have not put one on before or
it is not on the current schedule, contact either Barry Fasbender for
pool meets mailto:fasbenderb at aol.com or Jim Wheeler
mailto:jwheeler at sanselmo.org for open water meets. Both can tell you
about what is needed to put on a meet and give you the "inside"
information.

PACIFIC MASTERS OFFICE MAY BE CLOSED
Nancy Ridout, Pacific Masters' registrar, is trying to attend to some
personal business on the East coast. Due to the airline schedule
disruption, she is not sure when she will be able to travel. If she
is able to travel, the office will be closed, if she cannot get a
flight, then the office will be open.

michael

===
OFF THE WALL
My parents could tell me where they were when they heard the Pearl
Harbor was bombed. They could also tell me where they were when they
heard the Japanese had surrendered.

I was in St Anthony School's eighth grade when I heard that President
Kennedy had been shot and it was 45 minutes later I heard that he had
died.

I was working for the United States Postal Service at the Airport
Mail Facility when I heard that Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon
in July 1969.

9/11/01 I was in a San Francisco International Airport newsstand
waiting to catch a plane to Detroit, when I heard that a two planes -
a large plane and small plane had hit the World Trade Center. My
thought was that is really strange, for two planes to hit each other.
That is unusual and why would a jet be flying over Manhattan.

The thought that anyone would intentionally fly into a building was
outside my thought process.

I had checked in for my flight 20 minutes before and went to the
gate. Around 6:30, it was announced that the FAA had stopped all
aircraft from taking off. About fifteen minutes later it was
announced at the gate that there would be no airline flights for
hours, and that if you lived in the bay area you should go home.

I just stood there. This was like being in bad movie. It was about 10
minutes before I picked up my carry on baggage. I left the terminal,
saw that the cab line and the shuttle service lines were very long. I
went downstairs to ground level, and caught the SamTrans bus to take
me back to the city. It was so surreal.

It was not until I returned home that I was able to see what had
happened. The devastation, the manifestation of evil in the world.
September 11, 2001, A day I will always remember where I was when I
head that two planes had hit the World Trade Center.

===
If anyone has a gif of a red, white and blue ribbon (about 120 pixels
wide) that I could use on the web site, I would appreciate it.

mwm