[PacMasterUpdate] Update June 30, 2002

pacmasterupdate-admin at PacificMasters.org Mon Jul 1 00:07:40 EDT 2002

UPCOMING EVENTS:
LONG COURSE CHAMPIONSHIPS
Entries are due tomorrow July 1st in Santa Cruz.  For those who have
not turned in their entries, it is a beautiful drive there. (no deck
entries for championships).

Entry Fees: Add after the address "PLEASE DO NOT SEND ENTRIES THAT
REQUIRE A SIGNATURE.  THEY WILL BE RETURNED TO SENDER.  If you want
an entry confirmation, include a SASE or post card.  Sorry, entries
cannot be confirmed by phone.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/02cruzlcm.pdf

USMS NATIONALS
The USMS Long Course Nationals are being held in Cleveland in August.
The mail entry deadline is July 5th. The on-line deadline is next
week. If you plan on going now is the time to send your entry.
	http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats02/meetinfo.shtml

LAKE SONOMA OPEN WATER SWIM
The Lake Sonoma Open Water Swim is this Saturday July 6th. The
pre-entry deadline has past. You can enter the day of the meet.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/02rcmow.html

MINOR CHANGE IN BACKSTROKE RULE
FINA made a minor change to the Backstroke start. USA-Swimming
changed their rules and now USMS has changed the rule regarding the
Backstroke start.

Rule 101.1.2 B now reads:

B - All courses - The swimmers shall line up in the water facing the
starting end with both hands placed on the gutter or on the starting
grips. Prior to starting signal, the swimmer's feet, including the
toes, shall be placed under the surface of the water. Standing in or
on the gutter or curling the toes over the lip of the gutter is not
permitted at any time. A backstroke starting block may not be used.

The new rule is slightly more permissive than the old rule. (With the
old rule, the feet could not go up along the wall out of the water. I
have never seen a backstroker's feet go up out of water then push off
the wall).

Pacific Masters AFFILIATE - LANDS END
Lands End is a maker of fine sports apparel for the active person.
Click on the link to Lands' End from the Pacific Masters web site
Lands' End will rebate some of the money of your purchase to Pacific
Masters.
	http://www.pacificmasters.org

====
SAVE POOLS - HELP NEEDED
We've got two pools we're trying to keep open in the Petaluma area:
one is the 50 meter long course pool on East Washington, and the
other is a 25yd, 6 lane at Petaluma High School.

(1)   Would you please direct us to other groups who have information
on how much it costs to run pools, what the most economical method is
(eg., does co-generation really work).

(2) Do you know of other 'save the pool' groups -- can we work out
some round-robin Save The Pool swims to help each other out?

Many thanks!
- Sibyl Baldwin
mailto:Sibyl_C._Baldwin at ffic.com
=====

NEWSLETTER PHOTOS
Photos for the newsletter are especially welcome. Not only Open Water
but would like to have some from other meets this summer. Digital
images from the Long Course Championships can be e-mailed to Joanne
Bervan  (mailto:jdnevreb at attbi.com )  or photos can be sent, but she
would like to have a 'heads up' that photos are coming. (They could
email me that the photos are in th email).

have a good week

michael

--
michael w. moore