[PacMasterUpdate] Pacific Masters Update, October 5th, 2003

pacmasterupdate-admin at PacificMasters.org Mon Oct 6 00:23:08 EDT 2003

RESULTS
World Records fall at Pacific Masters Short Course Meters Championships.

National and world short course meters records fell at the recently
held 2003 Pacific Masters Swimming Short Course meters championships.
The meet was held in two parts, on Saturday September 27th the 1500
Meters event was held and the weekend of October 4-5 when the rest of
the events were contested.

In all there were nine World records, 3 national records and 32
Pacific records were broken on the warm weekend. More info at
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/03/03scmchampionshipstory.html
results and splits are at:
	http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/results.shtml

Thanks to Jim Shaw - meet director, Carol Macpherson - coach, and the
entire Rinconada team for putting on the event.

SACRAMENTO MASTERS
TWENTY NINTH (OR THIRTYTH) ANNUAL SPRINT PENTATHLON This upcoming weekend

On Sunday October 12 is the Sac Masters 29th (or 30th) Annual Sprint
Pentathlon. It is the 50s of the four strokes plus the 100 yd IM. pre
entry deadline is Oct 3rd (or you can deck enter - 11:30 cut off the
day of the meet).

COACHES ROUND TABLE
Pacific Masters Swimming is inviting all coaches to attend the second
in a series of Coaches Roundtable Meetings to help further the goals
of those leading our programs. The first meeting after the beginning
of the year was well attended with great discussions on a variety of
topics. All agreed that this type of atmosphere was both helpful and
motivating. Many coaches struggle with the same issues, and some
coaches  have crossed those bridges.
October 11 will be an opportunity for open and honest discussions
regarding the coaching profession within Pacific Masters. Please
check your calendars and make an attempt to attend!
  9:00 - Noon (with the opportunity to workout with the WCM team from 7:30-8:30)
Place: Clarke Swim Center, Walnut Creek

The "R" in "FIT-R"
The September USMS fitness article of the month is  about "Sleep,
Rest, Recovery and Relaxation" by Jennifer Parks, member of the USMS
Fitness Committee. Parks teaches health, wellness, fitness, aquatics,
and stress management courses at Ferris State University in Michigan.
She was the swim coach at Michigan State in the 70s and 80s, and has
been swimming Masters for almost 30 years.
	http://www.usms.org/fitness/articleofthemonth.php?a=22

LOG THOSE MILES FOR GREAT T-SHIRTS
It's not too late in the year to swim the Florida Keys or complete
the 3000-yard postal swim.  These great events and more can be found
on the USMS website at <http://www.usms.org>www.usms.org under
"Fitness Events".  Be the first to complete a virtual swim in all 50
states.  Complete the events at your leisure in the pool or open
water.  Log your yardage and send it in to get a great T-shirt or
commemorative item.   The Check-Off Challenge T-shirt for 2004 is a
real I-opener.  Gotta go now to log some miles on my virtual swim to
Key West, Florida.  Wish me luck with the wildlife in the Everglades!
     Barbara Thomas

MENLO MASTERS HAS A NEW HOME
Menlo Masters now have a new home.  They are now based out of Redwood
City, at a city park that used to be home of the San Francisco 49ers
training facility.  Herkner pool is a 6 lane 25 yard pool that is
dedicated to only the Menlo Masters.  They host 30 workout per week
and have plans for expansion to that schedule.

COACHES COMMITTEE ANNOUNCES SCHOLARSHIPS FOR '04 CLINIC
The Pacific Masters Coaches Committee announces the annual Pacific
Coaches Clinic Masters Coaches Scholarship program.  The Annual
Pacific Coaches Clinic will be held at the Napa Marriott Hotel, on
the Friday Jan 2, Saturday Jan 3, and Sunday Jan 4, 2004.  The
Pacific Masters Coaches Committee will produce a Masters Coaching
Track on Saturday afternoon.  The PMS Coaches will also offer a
scholarship for one half the registration fee to any Masters Coach
working with a registered PMS Team.  Send your request for
scholarships to Pacific masters Coaches Co Chair Brian
Stack(brianstack at sbcglobal.net).  Look for clinic schedule updates on
the PMS e-mail updates.

FOLSOM LAKE IS IN ITS 3RD YEAR
Cindy Clements re-minded me that this year Folsom Lake Open Water
Swim is in it 3rd  year. Time goes by fast.

BECOME A DECK OFFICIAL
On Wednesday, October 8th we will be having a Stroke and Turn clinic
at Arden Hills Country Club.  This clinic will start at 6:00 PM and
is open to all new parents who would like to get their training
started and experienced officials wanting to get recertified for the
new USA Swimming year of 2004.

On Thursday, November 13th we will be having another clinic.  This
time it will be at the Sierra Nevada Brewery auditorium. We will
begin the evening, if you can get there for dinner, at the
restaurant.  We have the auditorium reserved from 6:00 PM until 9:00
PM.  We should be finished with dinner by 6:15 PM, so the clinic will
start at 6:30 PM.

The address for Sierra Nevada Brewery is:
     1075 East 20th Street
     Chico, Ca

North Bay Area Deck Official training
Oct.11-12, 2003 Sat. and Sun.
Location; Finley Pool, Santa Rosa, CA
Time:Sat. 9am-1pm (May stay until end of meet for on deck training)
Type: Sat. Beg. Stroke and Turn for USA Swimming and high school
officials (Session 1)
Time:  Sun. 8:30am until end of meet
Type:  Sun. On deck training
More Info. Lynn Graham 707-528-8710 kgraham386 at worldnet.att.net

- Nov.8, 2003 Saturday
Location:  H Pool Rohnert Park, CA
Time: 9am-1pm
Type:  New Stroke and Turn Session 2 and
Recertification Stroke and Turn, Starter, and Referee
More Info; Lynn Graham 707-528-8710 kgraham386 at worldnet.att.net Susi
Jackson 707-745-6132 jackson4 at llnl.gov

Have a good week

michael