[PacMasterUpdate] Pacific Masters Update, July 5, 2004

pacmasterupdate at PacificMasters.org Tue Jul 6 09:47:57 EDT 2004

LONG COURSE CHAMPIONSHIPS
The Pacific Masters Long Course Championships will be at UC Santa
Cruz, this weekend. Come on down to cheer your team mates.

USMS LONG COURSE CHAMPIONSHIPS
he USMS 2004 Long Course Championships will be held in Savannah,
Georgia. All U.S. entries must be postmarked with official  US
postmark (no business meters) by July 1, 2004, OR received  by July
8, 2004. Entries received after this date will be returned  to
sender. Online entries are encouraged and will be accepted  until
11:59 pm EDT on July 8, 2004.

SWIMMERS WHO ATTENDED THE X FINA Masters World Championships in RICCIONE, ITALY
For those swimmers who attended the X FINA Masters World
Championships, if you would take a few minutes to jot down what you
liked about the Championships, what you did not like, what you
thought could be done better and what you thought the Italians did
well. As we organize the the next championships, it is important to
get the thoughts and concerns of the swimmers so we can put together
a plan for the next championships. Please send your concerns and
comments to mailto:info at 2006FINAMasters.org  Thank you.

USMS COACHES AT ASCA WORLD CLINIC
The American Swim Coaches Association is hosting its 2004 World
Clinic in Indianapolis from October 7-11, 2004. The clinic is being
held in conjunction with the World Short Course Championships at
Conseco Fieldhouse.  Along with many other outstanding tracks, the
Masters track is being held on Sunday, October 10, from 8:00 a.m. to
12:00 noon. The clinic is a tremendous opportunity for current
coaches to enhance their knowledge of Masters coaching and attend
various other lectures by the world's best coaches and researchers.

To enhance participation, USMS will pay the ASCA member World Clinic
fee, a $200 value (Weekend Package Rate), for a limited number of
Masters coaches.  This grant includes tickets to the World
Championships finals for three days (October 8-10). Each LMSC is
entitled to submit the registration of one coach whose clinic fee
will be covered in full by USMS.  However, there is a limit of 15
complimentary registrations on a first-come, first-served basis.  For
further information contact  Brian Stack <brianstack at sbcglobal.net>

MASTERS SWIMMERS GOING TO THE SWIMMING OLYMPIC TRIALS
"Long Beach Swim Club has arranged for the use of 4 lanes at Belmont
Plaza Olympic Pool for Masters workouts throughout the Olympic Trials.

The workouts will be:
Wed-Fri, July 7-9, from 5:30-7:00 a.m
Sun, July 11, from 7:30-9:00 a.m.
Mon-Wed, July 12-14, from 5:30-7:00 a.m.

There will not be a pool workout on Saturday, July 10th, because
there is a 2-mile ocean swim (sanctioned) from the Balboa Pier to the
Newport Beach Pier. Entry information for the swimmers who may be
interested in that can be found at
<http://www.newportlifeguard.org/SwimPages/oceanswims.htm#Pier%20to%20Pier>http://www.newportlifeguard.org/SwimPages/oceanswims.htm#Pier%20to%20Pier,
and the entry form at
<http://www.newportlifeguard.org/SwimPages/pier2pierburns04.pdf>http://www.newportlifeguard.org/SwimPages/pier2pierburns04.pdf.
Please note that the Pacific Ocean is not the warmest body of water.
Ocean temperature at Newport Beach in mid-July usually ranges from 63
degrees to last year's balmy 70 degrees.

For those interested in the workouts (and/or the ocean swim), please
e-mail Lucy Johnson at <mailto:lucyj at uci.edu>lucyj at uci.edu so we can
get an idea of how many to expect. Because a number of guests to the
Olympic Trials will be staying in downtown Long Beach (which is about
2 miles from Belmont Plaza) and will not have access to a car, please
let Lucy know where you will be staying, and if you a) need
transportation to the pool, or b) will have a car available and be
able and willing to take other swimmers with you.

Long Beach Swim Club has contracted with Belmont Plaza to cover the
cost of the pool rental for the workouts, but a donation of up to
$5.00 per person per workout to help defray the cost would be
appreciated.

If any Masters coach coming to the Olympic Trials would like to serve
as a coach on deck for one or more of these workouts, please let Lucy
know that also."
JULY AUGUST NEWSLETTER
  The Pacific Masters July  August Newsletter  is posted on the
Pacific Masters website. In the newsletter  is information about all
the meets in July and August.

2004 USA SWIMMING CONOCOPHILLIPS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS ARE COMING TO STANFORD
The 2004 USA Swimming ConocoPhillips National Championships will be
held at Stanford University's Avery Aquatic Center, August 3-7th,
2004. Palo Alto Stanford Aquatics, Stanford Masters and Pacific
Swimming are proud to bring the National Championships to Northern
California for the first time in over twenty years. Get your tickets
to be inspired by the exciting competition and to welcome the elite
athletes and coaches to our swimming community. Tickets can be
purchased at 1-800-STANFORD. Tickets for Prelims are $3-Youth/Senior
and $5-Adult. Tickets for Finals are $6-Youth/Senior and $8-Adult.
All Sessions passes are also available for the meet. For more
information visit
	http://www.2004swimnationals.org

This is really a chance to see great swimming in Northern California.
If you have a few extra dollars, buy a pass and see trials and
finals. If you cant make it for trials, take off a few minutes early
and see finals.

---------
HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE
How to unsubscribe reply to PacMasterUpdate at PacificMasters.org. We
have a volunteer who has been taking care of people who unsubscribe
by emailing the above address. If  you sent a request to unsubscribe,
it will get done. (be sure to put in the subject line "UNSUBSCRIBE")
--------

Have a good week

michael

OFF THE WALL
It was fun to go to Italy to see the X FINA Masters World
Championships. As I have never been to Europe before it was fun to be
on the western side of the Eurasian continent. After being in Italy
for two weeks, I can report to you ( and without fear of
contradiction) that 50 meter pools in Italy are not much different
that 50 meter pools in California - pretty much a pool meet is a pool
meet.

I was able to sneak away for half of a day and went to see the murals
in Ravenna. Ravenna is a small city about 40 miles aways. In the old
part of the city, in the churches are the murals and they are
spectacular.

I was surprised by the buildings being all brick. I guess when I have
seen pictures of the building, the mortar between  the bricks just
fades away.

For those who are traveling to Italy and just want to relax for a few
days, Riccione is small city on the Adriatic coast that is a vacation
town. It  would be a great place to rest and unwind. I stayed at the
Atilius Hotel, where they could not do enough for you. The people at
the desk would tell me about Riccione, where to go to purchase
supplies and to get things done (I had a problem  in getting boxes
for the FINA booth through Itaalian customs and the hotel people were
helpful).  (They are also setting up a program with the Riccione
Swimming complex, so that if you have a team that would like to train
or practice in Italy, the Atilius Hotel (
http://www.atilius.com/sito2003/inglese/home.htm ).

The XI FINA Masters Championships Local Organizing Committee had a
booth at the championships. There were many Pacific Masters Swimming
members who worked at the booth helping to get names and addresses of
swimmers. The booth was very successful and we could not have done it
without the help of Pacific Masters Swimmers.

michael
--
michael w. moore
michael at mwmoore.org