[PacMasterUpdate] The Update Veterans Day 2008

Update on Pacific Masters Swimming sent to members and friends. Mon Nov 10 21:51:37 EST 2008

PACIFIC MASTERS MISSION STATEMENT:
As adopted by the Pacific Masters Committee the Mission of Pacific Masters is:

Pacific Masters Swimming welcomes anyone who would like to gain and
maintain fitness through swimming and encourages programs to foster
this mission.

WINNERS SHORT COURSE YARDS MEET.
The 15th Annual Reno Winners Meet will be at the Northwest Pool in
Reno, Nevada on Saturday December 6th. The meet will be at the
Northwest Pool opening at 11am and meet starts at noon.

http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/08snrscy.pdf

RESULTS CLOVIS SHORT COURSE YARDS.
The results of the Clovis Short Course Yards meet are posted at:
http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/results.shtml
Thanks to Dowain Wright and the Clovis Club, soon to be the Central
Valley All-Stars for the work on putting on this meet. They said they
had a great time organizing the meet and that Masters meets are much
different that USA Swimming meets. The meet gave Pacific Masters
swimmers to check out the Clovis North Swim pool before the 2009
United States Masters Short Course Yards Championships.

PAC MASTERS ANNUAL MEETING 19 NOVEMBER
The 2008 Pacific Masters Annual meeting will be held at Heather Farms
on Wednesday, November 19th,2008. It is a potluck dinner meeting. All
clubs are asked to send a representative to the meeting. Everyone is
invited to attend.

GO THE DISTANCE
Linda Schoenberger wrote "Come Join in the Fun" that is on the USMS web site.
http://www.usms.org/articles/articledisplay.php?a=170
It is a about the USMS fitness "Go the Distance" program, the every
popular personal fitness event. I would encourage everyone to read
the article, then join in the fun of the "Go The Distance" event

INDIVIDUAL RENEWAL
You can now renew your membership for 2009. You can register on line,
it is very easy, just go to:
https://www.ClubAssistant.com/club/USMS.cfm?l=38
and start filling out the forms. If you are a member of the clubs
listed below you can register with your club.

If your club is not one of the clubs listed above, you will have to
register as "unattached." And then when your club registers you can
change membership.

For those who do no want to register on-line, Pacific Masters still
has a paper registration form to send to Nancy.

http://www.pacificmasters.org/admin/09memberapp.pdf
If your club has not reregistered for 2009 you can fill out the paper
registration form Nancy will hold the registration for until your
club reregisters or until 31 December (if your club has not
reregistered by then, you will be registered as unattached).
CLUBS
Clubs can register (and reregister) by filling out the 2009 Club
Registration form.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/admin/09clubdoc.doc
If you have any questions about registration, please contact our
register, Nancy Ridout, (mailto:registrar at pacificmasters.org or call
415 872 0771)

PACIFIC MASTERS NEWSLETTER (NOVEMBER/DECEMBER)
The last issue of the Pacific Masters Newsletter for 2008 is posted
on the Pacific Masters web site. It has the list of events for 2009
and the updated list of the DVDs and tapes available from the Pacific
Masters Video Library. (If you are a member of Pacific Masters, you
can check out the DVDs and tapes.
http://www.pacificmasters.org/newsltr/08/08novdec.pdf

LZR SUIT NOT FOR EVERYONE
Article on LZR Racer suits and the problems they pose for
collegiate and high school swimming.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/08/AR2008110802254.html

WHAT IS THE VALUE OF SWIMMING? THE VALUE OF JOINING USMS
The USMS website has a new feature "What is the Value of Swimming."

There are two new articles in the Feature Section. "Fitness program
that Motivate" and "What's With the Groth"
http://www.usms.org/

WALNUT CREEK REACHES 500 MEMBERS
Congratulations to Kerry O'Brien and the Walnut Creek Masters for
reaching the magic number of 500 members. Walnut Creek was honored in
2007 as the Club of the Year. What is amazing is that with one pool
Walnut Creek is larger than many USMS regional governing bodies
(LMSCs).

USMS SHORT COURSE NATIONALS -CLOVIS CALIFORNIA
Hotel Reservations are open for the USMS Short Course Nationals that
will be held in Clovis California in May. You are encouraged the use
of the direct link for reservations at all preferred hotels:

http://www.fresnocvb-housing.org/events.php?id=39

STREAMLINES
The Streamlines, from the National Office is available at
http://www.usms.org/admin/nycu.php
Streamlines is written for the USMS administration, but all invited
to read and get involved.

USMS STORE at AMAZON. COM
Many Swimmers will be ordering items on line this year. If you will
be ordering from Amazon. com, US Masters Swimming has a "store" at
the Amazon site. You can go to
http://tinyurl.com/5rtqws
to go the USMS store. US Masters Swimming will get credit for the
sale. It is a way to help Masters swimming and not cost you anything.

TO REPLY OR COMMENT Or Remove
To reply or comment about anything in this email, please write to
mailto:update06 at pacificmasters.org
DO NOT use the above address to remove your address

If you hit the reply key on your computer, your email may or may not
be seen in a timely manner. Use only the update06 address please.

If you are wishing to get off the list, mail to
mailto:pacmasterupdate at six.pairlist.net, then put
Remove
in the subject line.

michael

OFF THE WALL - More work on the shoulder
Last Monday, was back in the pool, kicking (but no screaming). I am
kicking faster and was able to kick 1150 yards. I am trying to add a
little more distance each day. It makes me think that I am kicking
faster.

I was able to put my arm straight out when kicking, so that when I
was kicking breaststroke, I started moving my arms to pull a little.
It felt ok in the water, I would pull hard with my left (ok) arm and
just pulled a little with my right arm.

About two hours later and into the night, the shoulder told me that
perhaps I made a mistake. The shoulder ached for most of the
afternoon and evening.

Tuesday, I was back in the water kicking again. I did not make the
mistake of pulling with my arm while doing the breaststroke kick.
With my arms out forward, I thought I would try to do the butterfly
kick, so I pushed off the wall. With my arms fully extended, I did
the downward part of the butterfly. I never realized how much
pressure the kick puts on the shoulders. After one length, I decided
that I will put off working on the butterfly until another day.

When my daughter came back to the states after being a Peace Corps
volunteer in Lesotho she brought back a mulamu for me. A mulamu is a
decorated stick of hard wood about 3 ft (1M) long that is used for
walking or fighting. If a woman touches the mulamu, the mulamu looses
its special power.

One of the exercises that the physical therapist gave me was to hold
a dowel or stick horizontally, then move the dowel to the right and
then to the left. I did not have a dowel, so I took my mulamu and
held it horizontally while moving it from the right to the left and
back again. I hope that the decorated stick still has it special
properties.

Have a good week.

michael

--