[PacMasterUpdate] The Update 26 October 2008

Update on Pacific Masters Swimming sent to members and friends. Mon Oct 27 00:43:13 EDT 2008

PACIFIC MASTERS MISSION STATEMENT:
As adopted by the Pacific Masters Committee the Mission of Pacific Masters is:

Pacific Masters Swimming welcomes anyone who would like to gain and
maintain fitness through swimming and encourages programs to foster
this mission.

PACIFIC MASTERS SHORT COURSE METERS CHAMPIONSHIPS
RESULTS
The 2008 Pacific Masters Short Course Meters Championships results
are posted on the Pacific Masters web site.

http://www.pacificmasters.org/comp/results.shtml

OPEN WATER SURVEY
This is a quick survey for open water swimmers and for swimmers who
wouldn't enter any body of water without chlorine or a black line at
the bottom. This will help the PMS open water event directors plan
for the next few seasons. The survey will stay open until November
19. Tell us what you think! Really...we want to know.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=p8yob0ZS7m2GGf68bmiUQg_3d_3d

If you tried to take the survey and it did not work, please try
again. The above link will work, but there appears to be a limit to
the number of people who can take the survey at the same time.

CLUB RENEWAL
Thank to the following clubs that have renewed their Pacific Masters
membership for 2009. This is about a third of the Pacific Masters. It
would be helpful if all clubs renew by 31 October. Individuals cannot
register for your club, unless you are registered.

1. BAC 11. EDSC 21. MVM 31. SNM
2. BAY 12. FOG 22. OAK 32. TAM
3. BEAR 13. H2OL 23. OAM 33. TCAM
4. BRS 14. HYM 24. PCAM 34. TOC
5. CAST 15. LAMV 25. PVMA 35. TSI
6. CMAM 16. LARP 26. RAMS 36. TSUN
7. CRUZ 17. LNM 27. RHMS 37. TVM
8. CVM 18. LOM 28. RINC 38. USF
9. DAM 19. LVTC 29. SCUS 39. WCM
10. DC 20. MTRC 30. SMST 40. WOOD

CLOVIS SHORT COURSE YARDS MEET.
The first Clovis Short Course Yards meet will be held at the Clovis
North Aquatic Center (the site of the 2009 USMS Short Course Yards
Championships). The meet will be held 8 November and is organized by
The Clovis Swim Club and the Fig Garden Masters. The meet will start
at 1 PM, which will give swimmers from the Bay Area time to leave
early in the morning and make it in time to compete.

PACIFIC MASTERS FEATURED ON USMS WEBSITE
There is an feature article on the United States Masters Swimming
website about Pacific Masters Swimming exceeding the 10,000 member
mark. Thanks to the national office for the nice words they wrote
about Pacific Masters, our coaches and swimmers.

http://www.usms.org/features.php?id=84

WHAT IS THE VALUE OF SWIMMING? OF JOINING USMS
The USMS website has a new feature "What is the Value of Swimming."
It covers seven adults who answer the question "Join USMS? What's in
it for ? The answer is a better you.
http://www.usms.org/

USMS SHORT COURSE NATIONALS -CLOVIS CALIFORNIA
Hotel Reservations are open for the USMS Short Course Nationals that
will be held in Clovis California in May. You are encouraged the use
of the direct link for reservations at all preferred hotels:

http://www.fresnocvb-housing.org/events.php?id=39

TO REPLY OR COMMENT Or Remove
To reply or comment about anything in this email, please write to
mailto:update06 at pacificmasters.org
DO NOT use the above address to remove your address

If you hit the reply key on your computer, your email may or may not
be seen in a timely manner. Use only the update06 address please.

If you are wishing to get off the list, mail to
mailto:pacmasterupdate at six.pairlist.net, then put
Remove
in the subject line.

michael

OFF THE WALL
The shoulder is getting better. I can almost raise my arm over my
head. I have not been in the pool in three weeks, which is not a good
thing. I tend to eat the same amount whether I am exercising or not.
So this week, I am getting back in the water and leave it to the
coach if I am doing one arm crawl or just doing a lot of kicking.

When I was at the orthopedic doctors office, I thought it was amusing
that in the exam room there was an Apple monitor attached to an HP
computer. The monitor certainly was high resolution and I could see
in the x-ray how there is a separation between the two clavicle and
the shoulder. From a technical standpoint, I was amazed at the
resolution and sharpness of the digital picture. The picture was very
sharp. I just wish is was not my shoulder I was looking at.

But who knows, soft tissue does not show up on x-rays and the doctor
would like to do an MRI. I will know this week if I will be looking
at the soft tissue in my shoulder area on those Apple monitors.

The USMS 2009 National Championship is in Clovis. The championships
are in our LMSC and I hope that all of you consider competing at the
meet. The meet in a couple of weeks is a chance to see the
competition pool and to swim in them. It is also a chance to scout
out the hotels in the area.

Have a good week.

michael

--