[PacMasterUpdate] The Update PacMasters 8 November 2010

Update on Pacific Masters Swimming sent to members and friends. Mon Nov 8 23:41:50 EST 2010

PACIFIC MASTERS MISSION STATEMENT
As adopted by the Pacific Masters Committee the Mission of Pacific Masters is:

Pacific Masters Swimming welcomes anyone who would like to gain and maintain fitness through swimming and encourages programs to foster this mission.

INDIVIDUAL REGISTRATION
Swimmer registration started last Monday at 12:01 am, .USMS memberships follow the calendar year, and expire on December 31 (its the early takeoff rule for registration). However, if you renew or register between November 1 and December 31, your membership will be valid for the following year as well. Thank you to the over 1,000 PacMasters members who have already registered.

We are excited to share that this year, for the first time ever, USMS sponsors are offering exclusive incentives to members who renew or register before December 31, 2010. Members who renew before December 31, 2010 will receive an e-mail with personalized discount codes, totaling more than $30 in savings, from these sponsors:

Barracuda: 10% off your total purchase, blueseventy: $15 off purchase of $30 or more, FINIS: $10 off total purchase, Fitness Nutrition: 20% off total purchase, Hammer Nutrition: $5 off total purchase, SwimOutlet: 10% discount on Sporti and ClubSwim products, TriSwim: 30% off total purchase, TYR: 20% off total purchase.

Thanks to the 1,019 athletes who have already registered. You can register online at:
https://www.ClubAssistant.com/club/or.cfm?c=208
or you can download the registration form:
http://www.pacificmasters.org/admin/11IndvApp.pdf

.If you have any questions, please contact Nancy Ridout mailto:registrar at pacificmasters.org .

IINDIVIDUAL REGISTRATION
A version of the 2011 registration application form had the wrong fee, it slipped through quality control . The 2011 fee is $44. The forms that were sent to each individual swimmer were correct but some clubs got the incorrect ones. Please check your form before sending it in to see that it states $44 as the fee. If it doesn't, please make your check out for $44 so it doesn't get returned and delay your renewal.

CLUB REREGISTRATION
Our Registrar has sent out the 2011 Pacific Masters Club registration to the club's representative. The following clubs have re-registered: 49ER, AAM, AHSM, AQUM, BAC, BAM, BAY, BMSP, BRS, CARS, CLOV, CMAM, CRUZ, CSSR, CVM, DAC, DAM, DC, ECYM, EDHS, EEE, FDM, FGM, FGST, FOG, H2OL, HYM, LAM, LAMV, LNM, LODI, LVAM, LVTC, MAAC, MAM, MELO, MMS, MMSW, MPM, MSC, MSMA, MTRC, MVM, NBA, NCAL, OAK, OAKD, OAM, PCAM, PPP, PRES, PVMA, RAMS, RCP, RHMS, RINC, RPM, SAC, SCAM, SCSC, SCUS, SERC, SFRP, SHMS, SJAM, SMMM, SMST, SNM, SOLO, SPAS, SRAT, SRM, SST, STAN, SVAM, TAM, TCAM, TEME, TOC, TSUN, TTAM, TTST, TUTE, TVM, UCPA, USF, VACA, WAMS, WCM, WEST, WOOD, YCMS. Thank you for reregistering - it is so very helpful.

If you lost you Pacific Masters card and need a new one, you can go to:
https://www.ClubAssistant.com/club/usms_member_card_request.cfm
where you can print out your PacMasters Card. Of course, you can contact our Registrar about getting a new card (mailto:registrar at pacificmasters.org) to get a new card.

UPDATE YOUR ADDRESS - HOME AND EMAIL - can be done on-line

You can update your profile (home address and email address) by logging on to:

https://www.clubassistant.com/club/update_usms_profile.cfm

when you do this your information is immediately updated. We have a couple data bases and it is important that we have your correct email address. If you changed your address, the next Swim Magazine will be sent to your new address.

BOYS AND GIRLS CLUB TEAM AUCTION
You are invited to the 4th Annual Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco STARfish Swim Team Auction and Race for the Stars Adult Swim Meet

Saturday November 13, 2010
9am Warm ups and Complementary breakfast
10am Competition begins
11am-2pm Auction and Lunch
1:30 Raffle Drawing

Meet Registration
Fee: $25
Includes participation in 3 races and goodie bag
Enter meet at: http://www.active.com/swim-meet/san-francisco-ca/race-for-the-stars-adult-swim-meet-2010 by Mon Nov 8th or sign up with deck entries day of for $30 between 8:30-9:30am
-non sanctioned -

INTRODUCTORY COURSE ON SWIMMING IN THE BAY
The Dolphin Club in San Francisco offers a monthly introductory course on swimming in San Francisco Bay.

For new swimmers and for anyone who wants to brush up or learn more. Held once a month, this hour-and-a-half session includes materials about Aquatic Park geography, tides and currents, swimming in cold water and how to avoid hypothermia, our non-human friends in the water, and lots more.

1-hour chat with Q & A followed by an optional group swim. Non-members welcome, with payment of $6.50 day-use fee.

FINAL SESSION FOR 2010: Sunday, November 21, 10AM The Dolphin Club, 502 Jefferson Street (in Aquatic Park), San Francisco

Limited to 20 people, RSVP required. For more information visit http://www.dolphinclub.org/

PACIFIC MASTERS ANNUAL MEETING

The Pacific Masters Swimming 2010 Annual meeting will be held at
the Lounge Room
1375 Civic in downtown Walnut Creek
Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:00PM

All clubs are invited to send a representative to the meeting. All members are welcome and encouraged to come to the meeting.

-michael

INSIDE BASEBALL

Yes, we know that you received three copies of registration form. It was a mistake. We wanted to send out the 2011 registration forms out to all our members. According to Nancy, you hit the send button and it goes off. There is nothing that lets you know that the message has been correctly sent out. No quick message back that says, the email has been sent. It just kinda dies there. Well we wanted to be sure it got sent out, so we sent hit the send button again, no response so just to make sure, it was sent for the third time, hoping that the third time was the charm.

Now instead of sending out 10,000 emails, 30,000 emails were sent out. People now received three copies of a single email message. But that was not quite the end. We got over 4,500 bounces - oooops. They have to be checked out. Last week, I asked for a volunteer to help and we had a very nice gentleman step up and through a bunch of terminal commands he was able to list the unique email address that bounced.

Sending all those emails also created a problem with one ISP. With the number of bounces, their automatic mechanism thought we were spamming them, so a bunch of rejects were sent. We are still sending out notifications to all our members, but if you received three, it was not intentional. And if you are with Yahoo.com, that is why you did not receive any and are wondering what I am talking about.